NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squat. Water was calm and clear, looked like a lake. The pinfish were bad, had to cast a mile to stay out of them. I fished with fresh shrimp, no takers but the pins.

There were nice Spanish within casting distance busting bait everywhere. They would not touch anything I threw at them, were feeding on glass minnows.

I've got small jigs that look exactly like a glass minnow, but they would not touch them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Hand tied river rig. Basically a two hook bottom rig tied with fluoro, 3 oz weight

Think your rig should have been either a Kastmaster for Spanish or either a fish finder ( or Carolina rig ) with bait for all others. ....ICM

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer crappies questions, I cast to Spanish with a fluoro leader, 30 lbs. I threw sting silvers, Hopkins, sea striker jigs and finally a kastmaster in gold.

They were feeding on glass minnows, The sea striker jig looks just like a glass minnow, I could not believe they would not hit it. I finally caught one on the gold Kastmaster. It was a keeper but I would've thrown it back. Unfortunately one of the trebles got lodged in its eye, so I just kept it. Figured there was no way a Spanish will live very long with one eye

I'm gonna have a single fish taco for supper

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Might have been the retrieve, Spanish like it insanely fast some times, real snatch and reel, jerk and jam like a mad man retrieve..

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
We will catch em!! I remember a few years at the point in the fall using live mullet on a poppin cork on the surf and driftin it and hammerin the Spanish with in 10 feet of the beach!! That's a wild ride!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.