NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another post was about renting a house at Emerald then finding out there was a shark fishing ban. Why not make lemonade by having a shark surf fishing tourney complete with beach vendors - food, trinkets etc. It would also be an opportunity to educate. I think it would generate a lot of interest, with kids especially. Lets say a one mile stretch of beach is designated for one day, how any sharks do you think would be caught by 100 surf fishermen (no kayaks or swimming out to place bait.)

Blast away :D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
What I had came from a three footer. It was soaked in saltwater 24 hours and then cooked in olive oil. Incredible. Three people all said it was better than any redfish they ever had.
The key to good shark is cleaning it right then. The only shark that can pee is a Mako. That is Mako is such a good eating shark. Everything else can't pee. The urine leaches out through the skin. So if you catch one and throw it in the cooler you stop the process. I love a shark steak cooked on a hot grill for a couple of minutes.
Why more people don't do it? Your Pelagic sharks are knocking on the door of being 5' long before you can keep them and a fish that size needs to go back in the drink to live another day in most fishing circles.

Another thing is they are regulated both state and federally. It can be confusing as to what is legal and not legal, not counting knowing your shark identification.

I watched a Youtube video last night of the top five Great Whites caught on rod and reel. The largest was 2 and a half tons. Obviously these fish were killed to get them in a boat or towed to shore. Nothing but a bunch of flamers for responses to the video. Shouldn't kill big fish yadda yadda yadda.....like those Great Whites were gods of the ocean or something.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I think this is a great idea - but I can only imagine PETA showing up protesting the cruelty to the sharks (notice, they weren't picketing when the sharks were eating people, just saying). All good for the economy - get the animal rights activists in to protest, the fishermen in to fish, the tourists in to watch, and that's a lot of hotels, food, and money flowing.

Or you could just ban shark fishing.

And, yes, Black Tip shark smells like urine before its cooked, but tastes PHENOMENAL once cooked. Never heard of eating a bull, but they say we taste like pee. ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this is a great idea - but I can only imagine PETA showing up protesting the cruelty to the sharks (notice, they weren't picketing when the sharks were eating people, just saying). All good for the economy - get the animal rights activists in to protest, the fishermen in to fish, the tourists in to watch, and that's a lot of hotels, food, and money flowing.

And, yes, Black Tip shark smells like urine before its cooked, but tastes PHENOMENAL once cooked. Never heard of eating a bull, but they say we taste like pee. ;)
The few sharks I catch are bled and iced right away and are good eats. Never caught a blacktip but seen it in the market.

I like that yo noticed that the ar types would come and add to the economy - poetic justice.:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
all we need now is for the piper clover and the sea turtles to show up and shut the rest of the beach down....I use to love going to Ocracoke but the piper clover pep's have turned that island upside down. JMHO....by the way my brother and his wife were there this past week so I text him to see just how far he could drive on the beach to get near the point and the answer was not very far in either direction from the ramps....so just saying.

·
Registered
252 Posts
catch and release?!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The key to good shark is cleaning it right then. The only shark that can pee is a Mako. That is Mako is such a good eating shark. Everything else can't pee. The urine leaches out through the skin. So if you catch one and throw it in the cooler you stop the process. I love a shark steak cooked on a hot grill for a couple of minutes.
Why more people don't do it? Your Pelagic sharks are knocking on the door of being 5' long before you can keep them and a fish that size needs to go back in the drink to live another day in most fishing circles.

Another thing is they are regulated both state and federally. It can be confusing as to what is legal and not legal, not counting knowing your shark identification.

I watched a Youtube video last night of the top five Great Whites caught on rod and reel. The largest was 2 and a half tons. Obviously these fish were killed to get them in a boat or towed to shore. Nothing but a bunch of flamers for responses to the video. Shouldn't kill big fish yadda yadda yadda.....like those Great Whites were gods of the ocean or something.

That's exactly why I've released all the Great Whites I've caught with just a picture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.