NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought a new (used) boat. it has a 25 hp johnson sea horse outboard. im new to this whole thing. it is my first boat. i am having trouble with the engine running wide open as soon as i crank it. it is in neutral and the throttle isnt hung. am i mixing my gas wrong? it has a 50 to 1 mixture. so i put 2 gallons and about 8 oz of oil in it. did i mix it wrong or is something else going on?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pretty sure your not doing anything wrong. I've got a 25 johnson that does the same thing on startup, especially when it's colder weather. It idles down immediately once put in gear and runs ok. I'm guessing it's a carburator/air mix problem. I'm about to put it in th shop for this and a lower unit repair.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Can you control the throttle from on the engine? Do you have any throttle control on the handle ( I assume it is tiller type) Pull the hood and make sure the throttle is moving as it may be hung wide open. Putting it in gear revved up is a NO NO! good way to bust a gear in the lower end.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
May not have been moving to its fullest positions, screws get turned, wires get bent and knobs get turned.

Its usually just something small that agravates you on a motor.

Who in your area is good on boat motors????? I'm in Kenansville and might need some assistance myself when I start on my motor.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Steve, you most likely have a throttle adjustment problem. Some motors have a fast idle adjustment on them, and its most likely an adjustment. If the prop is not spinning, its in neutral. I'm willing to bet that the person you bought it from sold you his problems. A guy sold me his problem, and after I put a new interior in it, and rebuilt the whole motor (mostly my mistake) I love his problem. Get a book to start with. They are a life saver, and check all your linkage, make sure its smooth running, and all the adjustments on the carbuerator. That would be the best place to start. 9 times out of 10, there is an idle adjustment screw you can mess with.

What year is the motor? Your fuel ratio is fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.