NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to the Eno for some ultralight fishing. Didn't mean to stay there as long as I did but the fishing was great!

Was fishing with a beetle spin and a microtube under a float. Then I thought I would switch to a bait I haven't fished in years for some reason but used to kill with: a weightless microtube. That made all the difference. Caught tons of sunfish (various species; I am still not familiar with all the subtypes down here!), and some small largemouth. It is great watching them take the tube off the surface.

Highlight of the evening was this near citation roanoke bass. I was watching the tube very slowly sink and it just came up from the rocks and crushed it. I took this picture, and one with it next to my road for comparison. Turns out it is 3/4 inch short of 11 inches :( Oh well, put up a great fight!

IMG_5050.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you using to be able to cast a weightless microtube?

-Jeff
A 5 foot ultralight uglystick and 4lb line. Hesitant to guess how far it casts, but I am thinking about 20 feet. It gets it out there far enough anyway.

I have been trying to think of something that I can put in the tube that would give it a touch more weight but maintain buoyancy. I know in the past when I have wanted them to sink I have wrapped some really thin lead wire (bought in a fly fishing section of a store), and when I wanted them to completely float I have put some styrofoam in the tube. Perhaps a combo of the two would balance out and give me another 5-10 feet casting distance.

I used to use weightless microtubes all the time for sunfish and stubborn bass and they just go nuts over it. At least today (and based on my luck the past few times I have been fishing at the Eno), it is a night and day difference between the weightless tube and one on a jig head under a float.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I met one of the rangers in the parking lot one day, and he told me that a study was conducted on them in the river. An that they captured and released Roanokes in the 4-5lb range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bodis Bass maybee?

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Microtube?

What is a microtube, weightless or otherwise? I've searched online and am finding it only in the context of tying flies. I'd love to try this. I live about 3 miles from the Cole Mill Access! thanks -Renee

Went down to the Eno for some ultralight fishing. Didn't mean to stay there as long as I did but the fishing was great!

Was fishing with a beetle spin and a microtube under a float. Then I thought I would switch to a bait I haven't fished in years for some reason but used to kill with: a weightless microtube. That made all the difference. Caught tons of sunfish (various species; I am still not familiar with all the subtypes down here!), and some small largemouth. It is great watching them take the tube off the surface.

Highlight of the evening was this near citation roanoke bass. I was watching the tube very slowly sink and it just came up from the rocks and crushed it. I took this picture, and one with it next to my road for comparison. Turns out it is 3/4 inch short of 11 inches :( Oh well, put up a great fight!

View attachment 65007

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is a microtube, weightless or otherwise? I've searched online and am finding it only in the context of tying flies. I'd love to try this. I live about 3 miles from the Cole Mill Access! thanks -Renee
Sorry, should have specified "micro tube jig" :) dbeam's response above clarifies. I think the ones I use are 1.5 inches.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Gary I believe he was talking about 4-5 pound Roanokes, not largemouth as you had originally posted were taken from there.

The State Record Roanoke is just under 3 pounds so I'm wondering about 4-5 pounders myself....but hey, you never know!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Bodis Bass look like 'nokes and get much bigger. Could be a case of mistaken identity.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I am saying I know of 4/5 pound largemouth . I also have caught many 2lb+ Roanokes actual factual fish the state record is just under 3 lbs and the igfa world record was just over a pound . It is difficult to certify a world record . So if wildlife shocked and netted a few 4/5 pound Roanoke bass very possible in my opinion. If the water is there to support 4/5 lb largemouth it is also there to support Roanoke in the same size .. big fish do not get caught often and in the case of Roanokes mistaken identity is common. ...many people say there are no fish in places to 1 discourage folks fromantic coming or 2 think because they have never done it it doesn't exist. I tried for a while to break the state record and that meant weighing a bunch and a lot of measuring. I am not arm chair quarterback these things this is first hand experience

1 - 20 of 99 Posts