NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I started fishing the Eno in August when I returned for school. My buddies and I have had a lot of fun messing around with the bounty of panfish that are always eager to strike, but I'd like to fight something a little bigger, like bass or catfish. From what I've read on these forums I should be using my olive wooly buggers, dark leeches, chartreuse clousers/ deceivers, and maybe even my muddler minnows. Typically we wade down the middle and cast into the deeper pools near the bank and near logs/ debris close to the bank. There are usually two to three of us. Should we change any of our strategy for more luck? Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check out the book "small stream Bassing" let me tell you what I've learned about bass in smallclear rivers like the ENO. Frst off, esecially in late spring-fall when the river is running clear..... if you are in the river, the big fish have heard/seen you and either got gone or are under ledges, rocks or logs. My advice:

Wade/fish upstream in section you know well

Imagine you are hunting on land and stalk your fish that way.

A nice fish in that water is old and wary so you'll get one maybe two shots, think about your presentation first.

It is better to let you fly drift into spot rather than send a line over the fish, sometimes the shadow will spook them.

As fun as it is, sty out of the water! Try to stay on or as close the bank as possible, many of the bigger fish take a dominant position in pools, eddies and boulder certer stream or just off center stream, any upstream disturbance will send them off.

The ENO is low clear and pressured, so the fish are very wary. Makes it challenging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.