NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by saying that yesterday was a day of firsts. Among them were: 1. My first time hiring a guide. 2. My first time in a truly "big" river. 3. My first time in a drift boat. 4. The first time I ever laid eyes on this particular river.

I'll let the pictures speak for me instead if relating the entire story, but suffice it to say It was easily the best day of fishing I've ever had. Fresh, salt, warm water or cold.

The best part of the day was that my fishing buddy, Allen, joined the 20/20 club with a 20" brown caught on a size 20 olive midge on 6x tippet. (He's in the green hat, I'm wearing the orange hat)

We caught so many fish we couldn't even begin to keep count. Each of us upped our personal best. I caught a 17" brown and Allen boated the 20"er.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should've included it in the original post, but was tired from a long week away from home and it completely slipped my mind. The guide who took us out is Patrick Fulkrod of Bristol, VA. I heard about him on the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast. He won the 2014 Orvis endorsed guide of the year award, and I now know why! I cannot recommend him highly enough. He knew his stuff, he was super friendly, and just an all around great guy.

Here's his info: http://m.orvis.com/p/mountain-sports-patrick-fulkrod-va/8e03

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
South Holston is beautiful. My Dad has taken me there for a couple wading trips. Great trip, thanks for sharing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.