NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in Ocracoke all week with catches of puppy drum and 15-20" flounder. We had been offshore and caught a limit of dolphin and 3 good wahoo. We were having a blast as we hadn't been skunked all week. Fishing was steady at best. On Wednesday oct 8 we decided to go night fishing on the south point. Setup against the odds, full moon, falling tide, and beautiful weather we didn't think the drum would come in. About 9 on the last truck moved off the point so we packed up and moved onto the point. After 30 min and no bites. All three rods went off in a big way. Two rods got tangled and broke off but we managed to land a 37" red drum. We retied our rigs and got bait back out and immediately another bull red and this one went 40.25" for a citation. Within a few more minutes another bite and that fish went 44" and another citation. Then another bite and a red drum that went 27.5". Shortly after another hit for another red drum that went 41" and another citation. We finished the night with a 30 min fight with a big ray. All in all we hooked 8 drum and 3 broke off. We released 3 citations! It was the night every surf caster dreams of and one we will never forget. All fish were released alive and well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Look at this table from top to bottom for the 8th of Oct.
http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/north-carolina/ocracoke-inlet You'll have to click on the 8th of oct. on the bottom graph.

If you pay attention to tidal coefficients and solunar tables you'll be ahead of the game.
Tidal coefficient is how large of a difference there is between high and low tides.
Yesterday me and another member went surf fishing. I knew before I went it was going to suck according to the tables.
It did. So why did I go? Sometimes you have to reaffirm what you already believe in.

I have been using this tool for a couple of years surf fishing. It's been right way more than it's been wrong.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Vacation this year we spent a week in Kure. The tables said that at the point we would arrive, fishing would be peaking and taper off through the week to nothing. It was dead on.
By the end of the week most everything had shut down except for the major and minor prime times.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I track it pretty good.
Of course there are alot of variables to consider that may be local to exactly where you fish like an unfavorable wind but it's been pretty accurate as I track it with my outings. My fishing partner has been sold on it awhile. It took me longer to accept it.
Sunday it called for no fish so I knew before I left home it was looking dismal but sometimes you just have to reaffirm your belief in something. I think the prime was 4-6 AM. At 7ish someone caught 3 spanish on a spoon from the surf. That was it for the day. There were a bunch of pinfish but with 20 people stretched down a small beach somebody would have caught something besides a pinfish if the fish were biting. Other reports I got from friends stretched from Hatteras down to Cape Lookout and Surf City were about the same as mine. There just wasn't much going on.

All I can suggest is to track it with your outings and location. I would also suggest using Magicseaweed.com for accurate surf, weather, and wind reports. Although it supplies surf reports worldwide for surfing it's good and accurate information surf fishing as well. Atleast you'll know what you'll face well before you even get to a beach. Their surf and wind predictions were dead on Sunday. They break the day down into blocks of time since it changes all through out the day.

I use both websites religiously now where as before I use to show up for some fishing and surf conditions were horrible. Alot of wasted fuel, time, and bait.
Now if a weekend doesn't have favorable conditions between both of those web sites, I'll stay home.
If the surf is great and the fishing doesn't look great, it's up in the air whether I go or not. Sometimes you just feel like you gotta be out there like Sunday.
It just gave me a fishing day to track against the websites.

My goal any day on the surf is to learn something. Whether it's find another hole or slough, or to confirm what was there a previous trip is still there. I might get skunked fish wise but not knowledge wise.

Ever heard of a moon watch? I know several people that deer hunt using one. They don't just go sit in the woods morning or evening blindly. They go to the woods when the watch says go to the woods if it says 11:45 AM that's when they go. They are some of the most successful hunters as far as killing deer that I know. They hunt according to the moon and active times. They'll lay the deer down with less effort and time than I ever did. Never forget we were standing at the grain bins one day about noon and I saw 4 doe cut out in the open field grazing about 50 yards away. I ask the guy standing there wearing his moon watch what time it said....He said peak started at 11:30.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
More fish is better.

Things I look for.
Weather. Wind direction and speed. Wave direction. Wave separation. 10 second intervals is ideal. 5 second intervals suck. Every 5 seconds you got a wave crashing. It makes keep bait stationary tough. It also contributes to muddied water as well.

I look for wave and swell height. I don't fish if the surf is over 4 feet much. It just gets too rough. What you can do versatility wise in those conditions is very limited. Wave direction is important in relation to the angle waves strike the beach. If you get them out of the northeast 45 degrees to the beach it's going to shear the beach off which translates into every time you throw your stuff out, it beats you back up onto dry land. You can't keep anything planted. The angle is just to sharp.

Off course tide times. And i want to know what the tidal coefficient is.
A few weeks ago I guess someone said something about a really high tide. Stuff under water they don't typically see under water.
I looked that day up. It was a very high tidal coefficient day which means high tide is going to be higher and low tide lower.
In the summer most of the time the high coefficient days are the bad days. In the fall it doesn't seem to matter. You'll see good fishing days on very high coefficient days.

I'm by no means a master at this. Still relatively new to it and building my data, but I am beyond convinced, man, animal, and fish are "pulled" by the moon. The moon is a controlling factor not to be discounted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Drum Runner. You peaked my interest. I have always kept a calender/log of my fishing trips to the beach...amount caught, time of day, location, tides, moon, weather, etc. Well I just looked up a couple of the more successful trips that we have had, and on the site, sure enough, they coincide with the data for the most successful days for fishing that month. Love how the website lets you look at historical data.
Thanks so much for the info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was basing our prediction on the moon light and the surf condition. the drum fisherman I've talked to always say its gotta be dark and rough surf. No headlights, no flashlights, no campfires... Even seen people get mad when others were shining headlights in the water. The moon was really bright! The surf was somewhat calm, I've fished alit rougher. And the tide was falling normally I've heard catchem on the rising tide. What do I know though until Wednesday night I had never caught a citation nor anything over 30". I guess the main thing is if your going to the beach put bait in the water!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Drum Runner. You peaked my interest. I have always kept a calender/log of my fishing trips to the beach...amount caught, time of day, location, tides, moon, weather, etc. Well I just looked up a couple of the more successful trips that we have had, and on the site, sure enough, they coincide with the data for the most successful days for fishing that month. Love how the website lets you look at historical data.
Thanks so much for the info.
I'm more than interested in what everybody else comes up with as well as far as comparing their outings to the tables.

SlotRed, I prefer to drum fish at night on a dark beach, It's where I've had my best success with the big drum. I don't string up lanterns on the beach but I do use a headlight when needed. If the fish are there feeding the idea is not to run them off with a bunch of artificial light. You can spook them out of casting range.

I had one phenomenal daytime drum outing. I had waded out in the water because the water was a little warmer than the air. It felt good. I took an old drum to the chest. Almost knocked me down. Got my senses back and all I could see was old drum in the waves as they rose up to crash. I ran on top of water to get back to my gear and get some bait in the water. We hooked up on some big ones that day. I've probably had numerous nights like that but couldn't see the fish in the waves. Confidence, luck, and skill is what fishing is made of. Confidence in your bait and rigging. Skill in knowing where you should be and where they should be, and luck that they'll be there at the same time you are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've seen the false light shut a bite down before. Me & my brother had landed 3 citation fish & each broke one off when a group that was tent camping down the beach saw the red head lamps & quick camera flash came rushing down the beach & turned both vehicles shining bright lights across the water& left them on while they rigged up. Told my brother the bite for tonight is over fished for another hr with 0 to show for it. Talked to the guys when we were going to the ferry landing & they had the same result.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
"Confidence in your bait and rigging."

Suggestions on that front--especially the rigging?

Thanks!
I make all of my rigs. Some version of a Carolina rig, a modifed Lupton, or a pulley rig. Anytime you crimp or swage anything you have to have confidence in your work. I've made some bad crimps on mono. Like anything else, you'll have one slip through the cracks now and then.
You have to have confidence in your bait.
In any type of fishing if you don't have confidence in the bait your patience is not what it may need to be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.