NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seaview Pier T.I.
I haven't seen a run like this in years...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd say they are prob out of reach from most beaches but I could be wrong. You can chunk a gotcha plug pretty far though, I've caught all mine on the bottom, never close to the breakers though. A jetty is another possibility.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
only time will tell before the wind blew us out today we had balls of menhaden coming through left and right conditions looked ideal for a king... I could not believe we didn't get one the last 3 days or a cobia

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've caught a few from the beach, it's my white whale for this year. I know conditions have to be right, but when the water is clear they get in close. Saw lots of Spanish in the surf last summer at EI, couldn't buy a bite except once.

I've got some new tactics to try this year. They seem to favor glass minnows, going to try casting a trolling weight with a trailing tiny artificial bait like a small Clark spoon or paddle tail or xrap (small) - any ideas from anyone if this will work? (With a fluoro leader on the spoon/bait)!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've tried using a trolling weight with a spoon trailing behind and it sort of worked. It got tangled up about every other cast, maybe even more.

I catch Spanish from the sand fairly often using Hopkins or kastmasters. I will admit however that I've been much more successful in the fall than spring. I think in the spring the Spanish are chasing smaller bait and aren't as interested in the big metal spoons that you need for distance. I use an 11 ft rod to throw 2-3oz metal out to where the Spanish are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've caught a few from the beach, it's my white whale for this year. I know conditions have to be right, but when the water is clear they get in close. Saw lots of Spanish in the surf last summer at EI, couldn't buy a bite except once.

I've got some new tactics to try this year. They seem to favor glass minnows, going to try casting a trolling weight with a trailing tiny artificial bait like a small Clark spoon or paddle tail or xrap (small) - any ideas from anyone if this will work? (With a fluoro leader on the spoon/bait)!

Have you tried Clark casters? It's an add-on weight for the Clarkspoons that greatly increases casting distance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.