NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
have been twice while visiting a friend who lives in slidell on the north shore . fished with him in lake p-train using live shrimp mostly but also some soft baits . fishing is like here , some awesome days and some not so good but overall fishing is much better and the trout limit is 25 per day . if you don't know someone who fishes there you will need one of the many guides available there .

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
exactly right pal , every state from sc to texas . i fished with a guide in florida and he said it changed the fishing in his state drasticaly
I was in Florida well before the net ban and many years after it. I fished a great deal on both sides of the ban. I can tell you without ANY reservation that it made an incredible difference. There is no debating that we caught more fish and bigger fish than prior - it took about 5-10 years to get to a point that you absolutely couldn't argue the change. Not only that but the number of mullet exploded, and with them, everything else did too.

I'm not a tree hugger and I have a great deal of empathy for some of the commercial fishermen that made their living doing this - many of them were local guys who were doing what they did to put food on the table. In the end, though, a lot of them became fishing guides (and darned good ones). I hope NC follows suit, the water out there is such a resource.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I am IN on that road trip!! I've always wanted to fish down there. The lack of netting and the warm waters make for huge and abundant fish!! Even the big oil spill only set them back so much! Man I can taste the Gumbo and Boudin rite' now!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been to Hackberry Rod and Gun on Lake Calcasieu three times. It is undoubtedly the most exciting trout and red fish fishing I have ever experienced. Top water action is unparalled. A five pound trout does not even raise an eye brow. Food and lodging at Hackberry Rod and Gun is excellent. If anyone gets the chance to go, take it. It is a once-in-a-life time trip.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many years ago myself and five friends loaded up three bass boats and three trucks and went to fish Lake Fork in texas for a week. We drove straight thru and it took 21 hours from central NC. We would each drive for 2-3 hours at a time while the other person slept. We only stopped for food and gas. We had the best time. We decided to start counting how many bass we each caught over 5 lbs. After the first day, we quit because we just couldnt keep count. Back then on Lake Fork, a 8-9lb bass didnt even turn someones head. We caught more 5-6 pound bass than you would catch 1-2 pound bass on Harris, Falls Lake or Jordan. A trip I will never forget.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I have been to Hackberry Rod and Gun on Lake Calcasieu three times. It is undoubtedly the most exciting trout and red fish fishing I have ever experienced. Top water action is unparalled. A five pound trout does not even raise an eye brow. Food and lodging at Hackberry Rod and Gun is excellent. If anyone gets the chance to go, take it. It is a once-in-a-life time trip.
I am so jealous. This has been my dream for 20 years. Was all set to go 13 years ago but got married instead ;) Heard disturbing news that the owners of Hackberry sold a year or so ago and the operation has suffered.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
What does "no nets" mean exactly? No commercial harvest of any fin fish period? Certain areas closed? Sanctuaries?
I believe they do not allow gill nets in their inshore waters. Also, their commercial shrimp harvest is much different. If my memory is correct, they have three distinct shrimp seasons and only allow 50' of head rope when trawling for shrimp. In NC, we allow gill netting in inshore water and do not have shrimp seasons (as far as I know). Also, we allow trawling in inshore areas such as the Pamlico sound and have a limit of 150' of head rope.

Their website is pretty straight forward if you want to check out the commercial regs: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/commercial-fishing-0

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.