NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was wading in Davidson river at the top end of the Davidson River Campground and saw two fairly close together. At first I had no idea what they were thought that they were some seriously old salamanders...lol...but later I found out that they were hellbenders..I would say they were 12"+ was a neat experience, watched a river monsters episode with a similar creature to the Hellbender..but they lived in Japan.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
A few years ago Bassrex and I had to stop a guy from Georgia from bashing one to death. He'd never heard of them and it had taken his nymph. Luckily we stopped the guy and released it unharmed. You know when you hook one, your line starts marching upstream instead of a fast take off like a fish. Dbeam, I've seen them as long as your forearm in Hazel and Eagle creeks. Slickrock has some too:eek:.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Even though I grew up in South St. Louis County, MO., I spent most weekends in southern Missouri on one of my three Great Uncles' farms. We would spend the days doing the many chores required on a working cattle farm from hay-bailing to gathering wood for all the pot-belly stoves that heated all the homes to spreading manure to treating the cows for pinkeye. Reveille' was held each morning at 4:30 a.m. and ate breakfast and we'd work till noon chow and then work again until evening supper. The rest of the day/night was ours to do what we liked but we'd better be up when one of our uncles would kick our beds at 4:30 a.m. We spent most of that off time in the many creeks fishing in the crystal clear water as you could see the fish and other wildlife that were in them. That was/is the first time me or any of my nine brothers and many many cousins had ever seen a Hellbender salamander. My Great Uncle Charley was the wildlife expert and explained everything that I just heard that scientist explain in this film. Those exact same creeks I knew as a child in the 60's/70's are almost always pure mud today. What happened, I'm not very sure as the population hasn't changed all that much in those area's of southern Missouri. The area's I'm talking about are St. James, Rolla, Lebanon, and Ava Missouri.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.