1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Be careful. I live a mile from a non ethanol station and gas from them has caused me nothing but expensive grief for a lawnmower ( twice) and a weed eater and blower. I've had best luck with Shell 87 10 percent ethanol myself.

But it's all good as I'm sure the folks that wrote those regs run chainsaws and mowers hard on the week-end themselves and will share the pain.............not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
She'll V Power fuels will contain less ethanol per gallon than anyone else out there. Sheets and Murphy Express are the worst followed by Citgo and the BP.

When High Fructose Corn Syrup was villianized we had to do something with the corn or risk thousands of farmers declaring bankruptcy and all together ceasing there production of corn which is a huge export for America.

Big question is what are we gonna do about wheat farmers now that gluten is the new evil.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I can think of a few things to "brew" up with those grains that will calm the masses.. LOL. But seriously, I don't know how they managed to pull off the ethanol scam. It costs a lot to produce, it isn't as efficient as fossil fuels, it is hard to store, and it does damage to most systems over time. I also ran some Biodiesel in my Freightliner when I was trucking. You get out in the Midwest and the stuff was dirt cheap compared to reg diesel. I filled up with it one time 300 gallons. It was like cutting my engine in half. I had no power, and it burned at a much higher rate. When you are only getting 5.5-6 mpg as it is dropping to 4 really hurts. I learned that I could grab 100 gal or less mixed with my usual fuel and it did pretty good but the blend they sold alone and my older engine (I don't know how it does in the new ones) were not a good combination.
One answer that would help todays farmers is if we were all more conscious of what we eat. "Organic" food, less mass packaged, fast food, quick fix meals would require better quality grains and less additives and "fillers" that are so commonly used today. Even saw dust is being used in our foods to bulk it up rather than using real meats and grains. It is all about supply and demand so unless science finds a good use for the grains, or we start demanding better quality foods ( at a price unfortunately) they will continue to push us towards a "Soilent Green" lifestyle. :eek: Look at the growing market for protein drinks and meal replacement shakes etc. It's all processed bad news..

G

·
Ethanol will ruin anything except an automobile engine. Lawn mower, weed eater, outboard, leaf blower, moped, PWC, etc.
The ethanol dries out and cracks anything rubber, fuel lines, carb gaskets, seals, etc.

Newer cars with injectors can handle the ethanol fuel OK as they have less rubber than carbs.

Had a guy at the marina last year...ethanol dried out his fuel line ("I ain't spending extra money for no non-ethanol fuel!") The rubber fuel line cracked and sprayed fuel onto the engine head and the whole thing **** near blew up before he could get it put out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be careful. I live a mile from a non ethanol station and gas from them has caused me nothing but expensive grief for a lawnmower ( twice) and a weed eater and blower. I've had best luck with Shell 87 10 percent ethanol myself.

But it's all good as I'm sure the folks that wrote those regs run chainsaws and mowers hard on the week-end themselves and will share the pain.............not. :rolleyes:
I never use less than 93 octane in any of my small engines with Stabil Ethanol whether gas pump said with or without ethanol.... also drained tanks dry and run them empty after use.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Ethanol will ruin anything except an automobile engine. Lawn mower, weed eater, outboard, leaf blower, moped, PWC, etc.
The ethanol dries out and cracks anything rubber, fuel lines, carb gaskets, seals, etc.

Newer cars with injectors can handle the ethanol fuel OK as they have less rubber than carbs.

Had a guy at the marina last year...ethanol dried out his fuel line ("I ain't spending extra money for no non-ethanol fuel!") The rubber fuel line cracked and sprayed fuel onto the engine head and the whole thing **** near blew up before he could get it put out.

You have to run ethanol compatible fuel lines and hoses.
It happens even without ethanol fuel. People going to the auto parts store for fuel line for a boat. It should be a marine grade fuel line. Marine grade has built in fire retardant because many boat fuel lines run through the hull where you couldn't get to a fire to put it out.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My dad ran Amoco "white gas" ( 93 octane) in a 69 Ford LTD 390 wagon and got 180 thousand out of the factory muffler. When somebody says they don't make things like they used to believe them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.