NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need your opinion.... 1992 Evinrude 225hp outboard- cranks and runs fine but won't cut off with the key. Mechanic says power packs are bad since he's checked everything. Would bad power packs cause this issue?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 1992 model. Mechanic and I both verified the wiring but not sure on the key switch since I didn't personally check it. My manual shows the black/yellow wire if for ignition cutoff. Just want to check all possible before spending several hundred dollars on power packs

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
unplug the black/yellow wire at the engine and ground it against the metal engine. If the engine cuts off its the switch if it doesn't its the power pack. Do it a few times just to be sure.

Reactions: Sovran and BigE818

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
586667 should be your original part # for the power pack. I find my best prices on Ebay and usually end up buying from Wulffe Marine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Pack-...667-/331607170072?hash=item4d3553dc18&vxp=mtr

also check the pricing at Ebasicpower.com they are located in Harkers Island. The CDI units are "plug and play" so just unplug each wire and plug it to the new one then bolt the new one on. No need to pay for expensive labor.

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, guys. I googled it before posting the model #, it's a 1988 model # E225TXCCE. Guess that's what I get for going on the previous owner's word and not checking it. Learning more everyday............

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Does it stop if you pull off your safety disconnect? If not, somewhere, your have a broken connection between your black w/yellow tracer and ground.
My money is on what Sundrop stated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it stop if you pull off your safety disconnect? If not, somewhere, your have a broken connection between your black w/yellow tracer and ground.
My money is on what Sundrop stated.
No, pull the kill switch and nothing changes. I got back too late yesterday to try Sundrop's suggestion. Heading out now to try it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unplug the black/yellow wire at the engine and ground it against the metal engine. If the engine cuts off its the switch if it doesn't its the power pack. Do it a few times just to be sure.
Tried grounding the wire several times- nothing- still runs so will try to get power packs in a couple of weeks

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Thank you for reporting back in! Please let us know if the power pack does the trick.
If you have any trouble with these outboards, 90% of the time it is a bad ground somewhere. Always try or do, unscrew the connectors and then re-tighten.
Did you try to clean the ground connection on the power pack?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for reporting back in! Please let us know if the power pack does the trick.
If you have any trouble with these outboards, 90% of the time it is a bad ground somewhere. Always try or do, unscrew the connectors and then re-tighten.
Did you try to clean the ground connection on the power pack?
No but I will try it today

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.