NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.....I'm beat. 10 hours of wading today has taken it's toll. I got in the water a little after daylight this morning and it was on!

Today yielded four species: smallmouth bass, rainbow trout, rock bass and of course the lowly redbreast. These smallmouth weren't just any smallmouth either, they were my first on the fly. There's nothing like having one of those bad boys bursting out of the water while attached to a 6wt.

I lost count of how many of what I landed today so that is always a good sign! Lost several trout mid-battle and the same goes for the bronze backs. The first rainbow I picked up was a chunk as well as the rotund smallmouth with some shoulders! Also, I netted all trout without screwing up....the big one was a challenge however.

Castman7 joined me for the evening section of wading and he caught enough redbreasts to choke a horse on the fly.

We seen some beautiful scenery as well as a snake and a couple beavers.

I've been having exceptional luck with a black woolly bugger but today the Barr's Slump Buster was absolutely dominant! I like this fly as good as the bugger any day. Unfortunately I broke it off in a deep run then switched to the aforementioned.

Spent time with my brother, caught a load of fish, caught my first long rod smallies and logged quite a few more hours on a beautiful flow....what more can you ask for?

Good fishing fellas!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great work man, but unless you have a dropper on the end of that tag line from the knot, I'm going to have to ask you to cut it off. HUGE pet peeve.
I usually have it cut right at the knot, not sure why I didn't that time. Probably where I was in a hurry to get going. The fish didn't seem to mind though.....wouldn't want to stir up your Pet Peeveness at all costs.....

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Man I go out for two hours in waders n I am soaked from sweat not sure how ya did 10 hours. Nice job. I may have to get a fly rid n hit some of these smaller steamd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man I go out for two hours in waders n I am soaked from sweat not sure how ya did 10 hours. Nice job. I may have to get a fly rid n hit some of these smaller steamd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It gets warm at times. Sometimes I wet wade which is far cooler but it's according to the situation. You'll be amazed at what those small streams hold! It's a blast!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are doing great, keep on hammering. ...:) Makes you wonder how you every got along without a flyrod doesn't it.

About time to start tying....
Tying is in my future, no doubt. I do wish I would've made a serious stab at fly fishing a looong time ago. Better late than never!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
Tying is in my future, no doubt. I do wish I would've made a serious stab at fly fishing a looong time ago. Better late than never!

Sent from my kayak...
Your too young for it to be very late. If you start tying, I have some accumulated, odds and ends to share.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your too young for it to be very late. If you start tying, I have some accumulated, odds and ends to share.

Darrell
When the time comes I'll relieve you of some extras that you don't need, at whatever price you need. Thanks!

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts