NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video was posted today in the NuCanoe owners forum....

When I looked for a kayak, I wanted only two things.... (1) A weight capacity of at least 550, and (2) the most stable vessel I could buy.

I got it.

If you want to see crazy stability, check out the video. The guy stands on the bow, on the side wall, on the stern, walks length of yak, etc.

Yeah, I'm impressed. I'll never do something like this, but knowing that if he can do the acrobatics, that I'm unlikely to flip in normal conditions is very important to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so3ex8egHxs&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
very cool. what is it about the hull design that makes it so stable? any trade-offs or downsides?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's got a deeply channeled hull which gives it outstanding secondary stability (almost a keel). It's also 41" wide so the primary stability is unmatched as well.

Tracks very well with those channels.

But it's on the heavy side... About the same weight as the Predator (75 lb range)

And it's not fast. I can keep up with the other dedicated fishing yaks like the Slayer, Predator, etc.... I' can keep a speed of about 3mph by GPS for half an hour or so. A little faster on a sprint for a couple of hundred yards.

Most are prejudiced against it because of the name and the width. But it meets my needs very well. I have no intention to race it, and I couldn't even use a kayak that offers much less in stability. So for me, it's perfect.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you looked at the Diablo Amigo? Not quite as wide but extremely stable. I had me, my ex girlfriend, our son, and our 70 lb dog on it and paddled around standing up with no problem in semi choppy water at Fort Fisher. Check it out

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the Adios... Good stability but too high a price, and the "Larry chair" was uncomfortable.... My back was much wider than the supports, and the top of the back support posts dug into me. The Amigo is a higher weight limit, but it still has the larry chair problem. Looks like the Amigo fixes the price problem, at least. Any kayak with me in it becomes a one person kayak immediately.

But I'm not looking for a new kayak, I'll have this NuCanoe until it wears out or gets stolen.

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Austin he tried chads amigo before they changed the lair chair . Len the new seat is far more big guy friendly . they listened to our suggestions and changed is the amigo is more stable than the adios

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.