NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there paddling around in a F&S Eagle Talon? :confused: Looking for some ideas on setups. I bought mine about two years ago and have enjoyed it so far. Needs a seat upgrade and a full length anchor trolley system....seats ordered and coming this week! I purchased the anchor trolley this weekend and plan to install both this weekend. For the price it seems to be a good yak.

FishStik

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased a Kerco Explorer off of Amazon. It looks to be a decent seat for the price. I will find out this weekend if all goes well! Got to be better that the original. It has twice the padding on the bottom and a higher back for support so I am definately looking forward to it. I really like how my E/T performs. It tracks well, does not leak, and moves fairly well across the water. For the $ you cant beat it. I am looking at getting another one for my son in the camo blue. It's time for him to start going with me.
I will post some pics of it once I get the stuff mounted on. I am reconfiguring my crate setup for local fishing and also working on a cooler design for my trips to the OBX. I found some good ideas out on the net this weekend.

FishStik

·
Registered
418 Posts
It looks like a good one for the money. Let me know how you like it. I think I am going to try to find a cheap frame seat, even if it isn't specifically for kayaking. The original seat is definitely the biggest downside to the yak lol!

Yeah I really think it's a great bang for your buck. I think it's a similar hull design to the pescador everyone loves so much, only a little bit heavier. I couldn't pass up on the deal when Dick's had it on sale.

Definitely post any rigging you do on here. I plan on rigging mine out a little bit this summer. I think I might get a Lowrance 3x or 4x fish finder.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw where someone mounted a folding stadium seat on one! The seat costs less than $39 if I remember right. The vid was out on the net and the guy bought the seat at Dicks and used the strapping to secure it just like the original. Looked comfortable!

FishStik

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a eagle talon and I upgraded the seat with one from Austin Kayak and canoe.It has a tall back with spots for plastic tackle trays that come with it and it comes with rod holds and has lumbar support pad too.It cost $140.I have also changed out the anchor trolly.I really like the kayak.I have taken it in lakes,rivers,and inshore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is my third year with my Eagle Talon

Sports equipment Boat Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire

I have modified it extensively and I love it.

- Added a new seat from Austin Kayak. Seat is made by Feel Free called a Kingfisher. Modified the rear straps a little which keeps the seat from slumping forward when you lean back.
- Added a fish finder and a hand held GPS. Battery is located in the bow to balance the boat a bit better. Bow down helps tracking.
- Put the transducer inside the hull using duct seal
- Kept the original anchor trolley but added a forward anchor trolley as well
- Installed Conseal Silent Traction stuff all over the decks
- Built a modified milk crate to fit directly behind the seat and added deck fittings to hold it in place
- Added some small mesh pockets next to the seat
- Built a PVC cart to move the boat around

This year I have added a rudder and an anchor pole, and I am considering moving the transducer to an arm in the water in preparation for adding side imaging next year.

Feel free to ask any questions. I think I am a better kayak builder than fisherman but for me it is part of the fun.

Bob K

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob K,

That's a nice looking setup! You did a great job with the mods! I will definately be asking some questions on how you did some of them. I plan to post some pics of mine soon.

FishStik

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Table
Plant Wood Tree Rectangle Grass
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Naval architecture Hood Bumper

Here are some pics of the first crate I built for mine. I built a frame out of 1" PVC to fit the pattern that was molded in the bottom of the back storage area. I used heavy zip-straps to attach the crate to the frame. It holds well and does not move around in the compartment. I have changed the crate design several times to better fit my needs. It's always a work in process!

FishStik

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is what I did for a milk crate on by Talon. I saw how someone had done something similar on the internet somewhere so I just adapted for me.

Table Desk Wood Office equipment Computer
Product Wood Naval architecture Gas Cooking
Automotive design Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood
Wood Shelf Machine Bumper Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Wood Shelf Gas

What I did was saw parts of the floor and three sides out of the milk crate then rearranged the parts and put it all back together again with zip ties. Then I added the home made rod holder tubes and a few more bits of milk crate to get the whole thing to sit level in the boat. The small PVC tube fits in the square recessed area behind the seat and keeps it from shifting back and forth (starboard and port?). The hinged lid for the crate is made from the floor of a second crate. Finally, I added some bungees to hold the crate in the boat firmly.

The deep end of the crate holds a couple 3600 series Plano boxes for terminal tackle, jigs, and any other select baits for an outing. The shallow part of the crate holds a couple large worm speedbags for plastics I want.

This year I added a SmartTrack rudder that uses a Toe Pilot steering foot pedals that replace the standard foot pegs. The rudder is cool in that when you flip it up it just sticks straight up instead of flipping completely onto the back of the boat. Tested the rudder last week on Mountain Island Lake. Worked good. I just need to train my feet to steer and un-train my hands to add steering strokes.

Furniture Table Cabinetry Wood Drawer
Automotive design Vehicle Audio equipment Gadget Wood

I also mentioned putting the battery box in the bow. I always thought the boat rode a little bow high which hurt its tracking. Putting the battery helps bring the bow down. Here are a couple of shots.

Hood Automotive tire Trunk Automotive lighting Grille
Automotive lighting Hood Vision care Bumper Eyewear

First shot shows the wooden shelf to hold the battery. It is marine gooped into position. The second shows my battery box installed.

Glad to hear from all the Talon owners out there. I always cringe when folks dismiss the boat as cheap and not that good. I think it is a great platform for building a great fishing machine with. When it is on sale (like now) at Dick's for $450, it is tough to beat for getting on the water.

Go ahead and ask any other question and show off more of your mods too.

Bob K

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bobbyk,
You need to change your name to "Bob the Builder"! That is an awesome looking crate design. I would have never thought about doing it like that. Looks solid and easy to access!
I too cringe when they are talked down. I have enjoyed mine so much, I went out and bought another one today before the sale ended. The F/S is a great platform to build on for the price.
Did the Conceal Silent Traction help with noise? Where did you order it from?

FishStik

·
Registered
20 Posts
FishStik,

Now I am jealous that you have two of these. Hope at least one of them is the blue camo. I love that look.

Good luck fishing and modding

Bob K

PS Keep the pictures coming to this thread. I want to see everyone's Talons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh! Forgot to answer your question. Got the Conseal from Hook 1. I think I got the 36" x 42" sheet and used about 2/3rds of it for the decks. Not sure if it makes it a lot quieter or not since the boat is a giant plastic drum, but it does change the note. Taps on the hull become more muffled like a whump. It does keep things from rolling and sliding around though and that helps with sound as well. And finally, lets face it, it looks incredibly cool!!!.

Bob K

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.