NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in Al K's last post on the Fly-fishing clinic thread a mention that Lake Rim has Bodie bass (striper/white hybrids). A couple questions:
  • Are these the same "hybrids" formerly stocked and still occasionally caught in Jordan? Or is this a different size/style of hybrid?
  • Is there an active stocking program? Are they in the public park waters?
  • What's the reasonable probability of catching one there?
Haven't heard any of the FFCers mention it before, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up too high. But if you guys have a Gander Mtn, an hour shorter commute to the coast, AND and a productive Hybrid fishery I may have to re-evaluate my address!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of bait do you use?
The Hybrids I've heard of being caught at Jordan are usually LM fishermen using plugs, or striper fishermen trolling shad and jigs. Have never even seen one myself in the wild - only in the Bass Pro fish tank and on TV.

Looking to get them checked off my list this year
!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm not aware of any Hybrid stockings in Lake Rim itself, but the hybrids that we mentioned are stocked in the casting ponds for the upcoming Fly Fishing Clinic. The Hybrids at the Fly Fishing Clinics are Bodie Bass or White/Striped Bass Hybrids. These are the same type of Hybrid that the state stocked in Jordan Lake. However, it is my understanding that the state discontinued stocking Hybrids in 2002 in favor of stocking the lake with Striped Bass. The state believes that this will help protect the native Striped Bass populations downstream in the Cape Fear River. I can't tell ya how lucky you will be at the Fly Fishing Clinic but I can tell you they are in the ponds along with Cats, and Largemouth. I think you'll have a better that average chance of putting a deep bow in a Fly Rod if you come out.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Backlash. Are those ponds normally accessible by the public or only during special outings at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center?

If I can even get out of Dodge on the 9th, first choice will probably be Wellcraft Dave's BBQ... Dead meat on a grill is worth 2 fish in a barrel, or something like that. Will have to catch up on my fly-fishing [-]brainwash[/-], oops I mean braindump, at a future session at the JEP FEC:)!

If anybody gets a bodie, I hope to see some pics.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If my fly fishing was any better I'd head up to dave's. I'm gonna have to do the fly fishing thing so that I can jump on some shellcrackers like backlash does at Bragg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.