NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As has been noted by others, this place is almost a ghost town. I haven't helped. I know there are other places folks post reports but I've always liked NCAngler and I've made some "virtual" connections here.

So, it might be an exercise in futility but I'll report my fall on the White Oak and surrounding areas so far:

Earlier in November, fished for trout in the usual spots around EI, with only a few shorts to show for it. Tried to find some spots for Mrs. heelwithnoname but never found a one. Found lots of lizard fish though, and caught a few short flounder.

Up on the White Oak, have had a little more success. Again mostly small fish; have only found 2 keepers (both 17") over the last month. Granted, I haven't done a ton of fishing. I'm addicted to fishing Mirrolures, so that's what I've caught them on.

There have been plenty of boats on the WO, most of what I hear and see are small trout being caught everywhere.

Anyone else fishing Western Carteret/Onslow County with any success? Lack of success?

·
Registered
73 Posts
good to hear a report and from the local area.

as for trout there has been some smaller ones in deeper wholes in the marsh and main creeks. finding the bigger ones have been a little further up into the fresh. and no lack of boats out there, ive been getting on the the hole around 5:30-6 and havnt been the only one by 9 am there are boats in every spot some days, plus the tournaments that have been going on the past weekends, saw some pretty nice fish coming to the docks there, but those guys range from radio island to up the new river to find them. been catching on top water, plastic and lures. they havnt had much preference and havent found that magic color yet.

Recently ive been targetin drum in the marsh. fish havnt been schooled up in their winter schools but they are definitely transitioning. been sight casting singles and small groups 2-12 fish that have been pretty skitish and crusing and not sticking to one spot yet. they have been liking slow baits and have been reluctant to chase a stead retrieve. hopefully the past few days have put them more in the christmans mood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven’t made a trip to that area in a while, I’ve heard it can be pretty hard to catch trout around EI. If I remember correctly I remember hearing reports of trout and sea mullets in the surf around this time of year in the past. Any targetable bluefish still around?

·
Registered
1 Posts
About 10 days ago I was trolling Clark spoons and Spanish flies and caught several small blues as the schools were heavy behind surf line. Dolphins enjoying the snacks, but not big enough for me.

Tried a couple spots behind Bear island yesterday for trout with Gulp and worms, but no luck. Water very clear. Likely best up the creeks or WO.

·
Registered
73 Posts
been fishing the creeks/ WO for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and the bite seemed to be off where i had been getting bigger trout. lots of shorts and even those bites were hard to buy. had to down size to a 1-2" bait to get them to feed steady. spoke with a charter up there who reported the same for the past few days, wonder what shut it down?

my dad went out and found some blues near the inlet the other week but its been to windy for me to make it out this past week.

Have also heard reports of trout in the surf recently.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate these reports. I tried to get out Friday on the WO but had mechanical issues. Did not see many boats out there though. Fished the sound around EI Friday afternoon with nothing to show for it except windburn.

In my experience the netter sets out nets on the WO on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I've still caught fish after that but it is typically a race against time. Does anybody know if the nets are out there now? Not trying to turn this into a net thing, at all, but it does make a difference in a go/no-go decision.

The guides in the area that I am familiar with are either not posting pics, or evidently covering LOTS of water (one said 26 miles) to find the fish.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fished white oak sunday afternoon and didnt see any netters, saw one old torn up net hung in the marsh though. Mix of small and big fish. pink and green seemed to be the colors but had to cycle alot of profiles to come up with some good size fish. MR17 were not the answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts