NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! I'm planning a trip to the Outer Banks in the Fall and am wondering what is the best time to come for some pier fishing. Any info will be very appreciated.

catander

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What do you want to catch? Which area will you be in? Water temperature plays a big part in determining the fish migrations. You really want to time your visit to be there when the fish you are seeking will be on the move. A rapid succesion of cold fronts coupled with high rainfall totals will send the fish out of the sound earlier than normal if they occur at a time when the water temperature is approaching the lower end of their comfort level. There is a huge area of sounds and brackish water behind the Outer Banks and the fish will be leaving the sounds through relatively tiny inlets so fall is definately the time to be there. Generally speaking from mid Sept to mid Oct will see the most action for warmer water species, the whole month of Oct. for the most variety and numbers and mid Oct. thru mid Nov. for the more cold hardy fish. Remember most species leaving the sound will take a right turn as they leave the inlets and you want to be on the north side of the piers for the most action. Actually I would want to be on the northwest corner with a 10"-12" bluefish or mullet swimming around in front of me! Try to catch the full or new moon about the middle of your stay if possible. The three days prior to the moon change are usually best, followed by the three days afterwards. Having said all this one fly remains in the ointment. You never can be sure, and you probably will here "you should have been here yesterday" and "the fish are running a little late this year." You will never hear someone with a commercial estabishment say "There just aren't as many fish as there used to be." I hope this helps you get your lines all stretched. If you still aren't sure about when, answer the first two questions and I will try to give you my best guess. Maybe someone else will give you their opinion. AL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.