NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a long and miserable summer of fishing with little success, I am anxiously awaiting some cooler weather and some decent fishing. The drastic decline in success from spring to summer this year was a true test of patience. I have to believe though that I refined some skills during the dog days of summer that will pay off during better conditions.

This is the first fall I will be fishing with more serious intentions. I thought it would be good to get a discussion going about what everyone has learned about fall fishing and how to have a successful season. I fish everything from ponds to lakes to rivers. Any advice?

Thanks!

Clark

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Fall is a time of transition. Fish are on the move from summer haunts to the shallows to bulk up for the winter. Being on the move means they will be a little less predictable and you may have to work to figure out what it will take to catch them. They may be there one day and gone the next.

·
Registered
408 Posts
On the lakes like Badin and Tillery the shad gather in huge numbers in the fall. Fish around those areas in the mornings and evenings and you'll find eveything from bass- big cats. I really enjoy fall fishing. I usally catch my bigger flatheads of the year in the fall. They gather in large numbers and if you find them, you'll have a blast.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Sorry you have had a slow summer. This time of year is actually my second favorite after Spring, but I have about two patterns that work for me and if they don't then I am sorta lost. Fall I have a tougher time with on most lakes, but I just need to learn more open water and shad-oriented tactics.

Hope your Fall picks up some!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bass will be coming out of their summer feeding slump. This is when they start actively feeding and moving toward
shallow water. Find the flats with a creek channel winding through the area. The shad will be moving up the creek
during this time of year and the bass will follow. Think big baits and use a variety of types of lures. Have a
successful trip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.