NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not great fishing results but a super night to be on the water, so a bit more of an outdoors/drought report. I headed up to the Rollingview area at Falls Lake. I've fished up that way in past years but never launched from that ramp and never fished it from the Kayak. On the ride in a turkey crossed the road in front of me - by the time I got the camera out he was airborne. Squint and you can make him out right in the middle of the pic.

I was a little surpised to find that the park area at Rollingview closes at 7pm. I think that'll make sense in a few weeks when the clock changes, but I could have used an extra hour tonight. Only the first ramp is marked as closed but the second one looks doubtful for trailers, the third looks like a maybe. Didn't get a good look at the 4th one on the other side of the dock. Wasn't a problem this day. I had the place to myself except for one lady reading on the beach - no trailers, no boats on that end of the lake. The ramps were very usable for the kayak - actually perfect for launching kayaks - concrete down to the water then sanded in at the bottom. Nice soft beaching area.

I headed upstream to the "pinch" where the 2 peninsulas meet and I knew I could find the channel. Lefty and Kayakingglenn had mentioned how much the fish were jumping up there but it can't be exaggerated. LMs breaking the surface all over the shallow flats. No rhyme or reason, just leaping and shaking everywhere, all the time. I dragged crankbaits behind the boat and only got 1 taker - this skinny cat.

I even got some air cover while I was out there - always appreciated!

From a fishing perspective, most of the basin out there is about 2-3 feet deep right now. The channels have very prominent edges, and get down to 20 feet, but they're pretty skinny so you have to hunt for them. I marked some fish on the bottoms, but never came through anything I would have considered a school. The most life I saw on the finder was in the channel directly opposite from the launch ramp. Pretty breezy out there so I couldn't tell if the shad were around or not. I think to do it over I would fish the flats near the channel edges with something fast like a spinnerbait or lipless crank, and I'd drag a carolina rig off the channel edges and through the channel. Personally, I still prefer the deeper end of the lake for my own peculiar fishing style.

I was hoping to catch something noteworthy to dedicate to Sundrop's mom. I didn't get it done, so she gets her choice of the skinny catfish dedication or "the thought that counts" dedication:). Glad to read the news of her results when I got back - trumps anything I could have done on the lake anyway!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
When I was out there, a buddy was indeed able to get his runabout launched, but it was a bit of work. He couldn't float his boat until the liftgate of his VW Touareg was about two inches from getting wet. I'm pretty sure that at normal pool, that sand will be underwater, but you're right, at the moment it's a perfect yak ramp.

Glad you were able to hook something up...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Good report Jeff! and my Mom is all about.."it's the thought that counts"..LOL I'll be sure and tell her about your trip!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The far right ramp is the best for launching boats. I've been off for the past couple days and will check the ramps status. What I see in your pics, that second ramp is in bad shape and I'll see if I can get it scraped tomorrow. If that won't do, I may have to close it. I may end up having to close one or more of them due to low water / high sand. The ramp of the far right should still be ok for launching. I saw on the news tonight that Falls is now at 7+ feet below normal.

At normal pool, the sand is not a problem, so long as we keep them scraped, which by the size of out sand mounds, you can see that we try to stay on that fairly regularly.

As far as the gate hours, I agree, they stink. But the people who are in pay grades WAAAAAAY above mine make the rules. It literally would take a legislative act to change them since they are set by NC Administrative Code.

BTW, we close at 6pm next month. Thanks for the report!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.