NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a newcomer to the triangle and this being my first season fishing the area, can someone tell me where I can find public boat ramps at Jordan and Falls Lake (which are not in the parks). I want to do some night fishing. I'm looking for ramps because I trailer my kayaks. However, if there are no boat ramps are there any put ins? Are there any places in close proximity to the lakes that I can find live minnows. I have just started using live bait, and could only find them at the Carolina Sportsman.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Six Forks Road has both of what you need. Upper Barton Ramp on Six Forks is always open. On the way there, you can stop at Bay Leaf tackle shop. It's small and old, but has minnows-- at least it used to. Call before you go,,, they don't have expansive hours.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Glenn,
Ledge Rock is also open 24x7. Eno River launch is uncontrolled too, if you want to go way upriver into the narrow water - definitely not sailing territory up there but great crappie fishing in the winter.

I added a couple entries in the tackle shops section of the reviews page for minnow sources near falls:
http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/175/cat/46
http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/180/cat/46

I've been past Bayleaf USA on Six Forks about half a dozen times this year and they've never been open. I think they were down to weekend mornings only at one point. Not sure if they're still stocking minnows or open at all anymore. May have been a "for sale" sign last time. If I can arrange a route past there I'll see if I can find out...

·
Registered
275 Posts
being a newcomer to the triangle and this being my first season fishing the area, can someone tell me where I can find public boat ramps at Jordan and Falls Lake (which are not in the parks).
Any particular reason for not using the park ramps? Only reason I ask is that they usually provide better lighting as well as public restrooms and trash cans. They are also patrolled more than the other ramps, however you are at greater risk anywhere at night on the lake.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I want to stay out well past closing time at the park.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I hate the parks at Falls.. Open @8 and close at like 6 or 7 ?? You miss the good hours totally...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
There are no gates at the ramps at Farrington or Roberson Creek on Jordan. No gate at Weaver Creek either, but the ramp's been barricaded, not sure if your super-scrum-diddly-icious kayak can fit. Your "normal" kayak can launch just fine at Weaver Ck.

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I've been past Bayleaf USA on Six Forks about half a dozen times this year and they've never been open. I think they were down to weekend mornings only at one point. Not sure if they're still stocking minnows or open at all anymore. May have been a "for sale" sign last time. If I can arrange a route past there I'll see if I can find out...
Stopped by this morning. Am happy to report that while there was a demise of the old Bayleaf USA, Mrs. Theresa Barret bought the shop and is piecing it back together. Now just called "Bayleaf" but roughly the same on the inside. She's got minnows, worms and crickets, a pretty good wall full of zoom, other soft plastics, hard baits and terminal tackle. Ice machine is on the way, cold drinks for now are in a mini fridge & cooler. She's open 8:30-6:30 mon-sat, and 1-6:30 on sunday.

Six Forks road, north of 540, between Mt Vernon Church and Norwood (closer to Norwood).

I'll add a tackle shop review later...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am also interested in finding some new spots to launch my boat. I will be at Falls on the 8th for some bass fishing, and am aware of the RT 50 access, as well as Upper Barton. But would love to find a few new launches.

Thanks for the info in advance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Kayakingglen,

As far as Falls Lake, I would stick with Upper Barton's Creek ramp off Six Forks Rd. The reason I say this is that there has been a lot of criminal activity at thew Ledge Rock and Hickory Hill ramps in recent years. This activity ranges from teenagers drinking to Vehicle B&Es and drug use / deals. This is due mostly due to the fact that these ramps are located in VERY isolated areas with minimal LEO presence.

Also have a lot of stolen cars retrieved from the ramps themselves in these locations. I have heard of some of these problems at Barton's Creek, but not nearly the number due to its location near a fairly heavily traveled road.

I would also invite you to do as dampeoples says and use the fishing access at Old Weaver Trail. I live right there and typically do not have too many problems. Currently you can drive down pretty close to the water, but you will have to port your canoe over the guardrail / cable barrier. Please do not back your trailer into the water here though.

=============

Girlfish,

Be aware that while the WRC ramps are free, there is a $5.00 entrance fee to launch at the park ramps during the summer months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.