NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we had our monthly BBC tournament at Falls Lake. My usually partner had to fly out of town today for work so I offered the net man position to my brother, this would be his first tournament. I told him to meet me at a predetermined location at 5:15, being that he has never been on time for anything in his life I reitterated several times to be on time and texted him my ETA before I left home. At 5:30 I was about ready to drive off without him and he finally showed up and we rushed to the ramp and got there in just enough time to pay up and put in.

The lake was up 5-6 ft. We ran to a line of flooded bushes first thing. I flipped them and he followed up with a senko (he loves bragging about a senko), also some signs of a shad spawn so I threw a bit of topwater and spinnerbait. The bushes had alot more water in them than I like to see and the water line went way back into the trees, we fished about an hour in productive areas without a bite. I decided to go hit some steeper banks in hopes of finding some fish on a shad spawn pattern, no dice.

Ran to a pocket with more trees than bushes and continued flipping. 8:15 I set into a 3 lber and caught a short fish shortly after. Got another 3 lber about 9 am and realized that both fish came off of trees, not bushes. Ran to another pocket and stuck a 3.5, again on a tree. That fish gave us our 3 fish limit. At this point my brother hadnt hooked up or anything with his beloved senko and his confidence was about gone, I suggest he get another flipping stick I had in the rod box as all my bites were coming on the bottom and his senko probably wasnt making it down that far as fast as I fish. He complained about his lack of ability and declined the offer. A few minutes later my brother hooked up with a 3.5 and we culled, as someone who has spent most of his fishing time on stunted little pond bass, this was a big fish to him and instantly lifted his spirits. At this point I knew we had a pretty solid bag that might be good enough for the win but needed something to set us apart from the other guys with a solid limit. We hit one or two more places without a bite and then on to another pocket with trees. I felt a thump and swung for the fence, a genuine bucketmouth showed herself, ran around the front of the boat and made a bee line for a willow bush, finally got her in the net and I guessed her around 8-9 lbs, at that point I felt we had it in the bag. We hit one or two more places with a miss or two and a catfish on a spinnerbait. In the last few minutes, Jeff hung his senko in some sweet gum leaves on a short tree in the water, cussed it, popped it a few times and then said "hey, theres a fish on there" it was a 3 lber and not heavy enough to upgrade anything in the livewell. A few more minutes and it was time to run for the ramp.

We ended the day with 15 lbs and change with bigfish of 8.72, enough to take first place and big fish honors. For going into the day with low expectations and a slow start it turned out to be a great day. Two solid fish for my brother made his day.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Congrats! Awesome day!

To fish is human!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nice bass! The rain screwed up my fishing plans, I was camping at Falls with a bunch of cub scouts. With the lake in the woods there was hardly any place for them to fish, and where we could fish we hardly caught anything. Definitely needed a boat this weekend!!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Nice job if ya ever need a net handler I am always on time!

·
Registered
978 Posts
way to go!congrats! I notice the big bass get active in flooded water ! caught my pb last year in flooded water and Saturday I caught a 5.4 pounder in flooded water running a buzzbait along the sunken tree branches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts