NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited until early afternoon, arriving at Upper Barton boat ramp. I talked with several fishermen at the ramps and found out the fish had "lockjaw", no one told me they had caught any quantity of fish. I launched the boat anyway figuring I'd at least enjoy the scenery. I cruised around the island where the stranded boat was located and took a picture of it. I then motored up to the dam, noted a depth of around 40 feet in the channel, then off to a cove to try the bass. I tried a Pop-R surface chugger and had several swirls the size of a wash tub, but no strikes. The fish finder showed many fish, but no bites. I then picked up the flyrod and a #10 white bug and proceded to land several small bluegills. The lake was still as a sheet of glass, no schooler fish anywhere although small shad were flirting around on the surface everywhere. Where are all the fall fish that are supposed to be biting now? I worked my way back to the ramp and cast around the rocks where I landed a 12" LM. I decided it was time to go, it gets dark early these days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
...I talked with several fishermen at the ramps and found out the fish had "lockjaw", no one told me they had caught any quantity of fish... Where are all the fall fish that are supposed to be biting now?
That's what I found on Monday too. Pretty as can be, comfortable as can be, but not a fish in sight. I'm thinking the lack of water and resulting lack of cover has them a little out of sorts for this time of year. The New Light creek area has always been pretty good to me in the fall - need to find a way to get the kayak up there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.