NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day off + good weather = go fishing.

Made a stop for minnows on the way to Falls and picked up a dozen each small and large. Launched the kayak at Upper Barton around 1:30. My plan was to paddle out to the main channel, trolling crankbaits, and switch to drifting live bait when I found a concentration of fish.

It took a while to find them but there was a small group at the channel bend near the Island at Lower Barton. Saw the top of the group around 6ft deep when I went over, hooked up on the small white glass shad when it came through.

First fish was a textbook dink (the kind often seen as by-catch when netting bait on local striper lakes :) ):

looped back around and made another pass. Much better result this time... 3lb largemouth. Took several pics. Traditional one-armed kayak cam:

And here's the same fish on my immitation zooker-cam (I've got work to do on my zooker cam - too much of my mess in the pic)

Came back across the other direction and snagged on a shallow spot off the island. Got interrupted by a phone call while I was heading back to unsnag. During a lull in the call I tried to collect the pooling line - no more snag - fish on! Not much of one - a little catfish had unhooked me from the bottom or picked it off when it floated free. He flopped off before he could get his pic taken.

At that point I figured I was on a collection of fish and it was getting late so I should put out the live bait.

Immediate hookup with a 2(ish) pound LM on the first large minnow to go swimming:

I continued to drift minnows around that bend and the island with no more takers until it started to get cool and shady. Headed back to the ramp. Had a bit more daylight so I went under Six Forks into the "forest". Most of this is underwater at normal pool (not the birdbox).

No more fish. Out of the water a little after 5.

Total was 4 fish, 2 of them decent. 3 on crankbait, 1 on livebait. Nice to get out and grind the water again - between not fishing and then going out with Striper Sniper and his motorized vessel last week I was starting to feel a little soft.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got 1 report that the pics above can't be seen. I'm posting thumbnails here and will ask that if anybody else can't see either the inline pics in the first post or these attached thumbnails, please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I see them all fine.......... I use IE 7.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.