NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marked a decent number of fish, including one spot showing fish top to bottom and some jumping. Could hardly buy a bite.

Didn't really give it our best effort, day was cold and wet, rain came earlier than predicted and temps stayed cooler than expected. Thankfully not a lot of wind.

Anyway, the only lures I tried today, and only used them in a few spots, were a couple of Silver Buddys, one a 3/4 oz gold and the other a 1/4 oz silver. Nobody interested. Remainder of the time was bottom fishing with either red worms or chunks of shrimp. Dad caught one small cat on a worm, I got another on a worm, and several decent nibbles on the shrimp.

The cats were under 10" size, so obviously no keepers today. No sign of a crappie or bass.

Used Upper Bartons, ramp was still fine, at least the one to the far left and the left side of the middle one (facing the water) had plenty of water to load and unload the Arima, as well as an inboard GW and several bass boats.

Water temps ranged from 48F at the ramp in the morning to low 50's around the 2-3 mile markers.

Saw no other fish caught, but several bass boats working the points diligently.

Asked at Roscoes on Saturday if they had heard anything from Falls, no major reports except some crappie.

Not sure if the water has to get colder to get the fish into the channels, or get warmer to turn them on again.

All advice would be appreciated, not a big largemouth fan, but if that is all there is I'll fish for them.

Any info on the marinas and launch ramps up at Kerr? By the websites I've looked at, it looks like Satterwhite marina could be an ok drive. What little I've read seems to indiacate fish are still being caught up there, and I think it would be a closer drive than Jordan for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shemstreet,

I've also looked at a few of your other posts on Falls lake and you are in the same boat as I am. I've fished the lake for about 3 years, not hard but enough to get a good feel of it. I don't track weather patterns as I tend to go out when ever I can get time. I mainly fish for bass when I'm out and I do catch them. I've caught a few nice ones out of this lake. I also throw a fly rod on occasions when I see the crappy working the surface and I have had luck catching crappy and sunfish on a fly rod (summer months). For the slow days I always bring chicken livers or gizzards and fish the bottom for catfish.

I do want to try trolling for some stripers, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Matt,

I'd love to target the crappie, just can't find any structure to get them out of, almost all the downed trees are high and dry, and the lake bottom is pretty barren. May have to do another round of trolling next time I get out there. Something should turn on some fish out there soon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shemstreet

Keep posting, I'm watching. I'll be in Raleigh in Feb., then I have to wait the 60 day period for my licence. Then I'll be out there with you. I'll be looking for a nice jon boat when I get there.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Berger,

If the lake levels doesn't come up soon, a jon boat would be fine for Falls. I see a few out there most times I am out. I have not fished the main lake (Rte 50 Ramp), just the river portion from Upper Bartons Creek ramp to the dam. Looks like most of the jons are 16' or over (trailer type), although I have seen one small one on the water. Don't get too small, the water itself is flat, but lots of bass boat wakes now (not too bad), but bigger cruiser and ski type boats were on the water before Labor Day, and throw pretty good wakes. Lake is long, so you will probably want something more than a 10-15 hp, maybe more like 25 hp on up.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Berger,

I'm not sure if you have found this site:
http://www.wral.com/wxmap/886705/detail.html

It shows lake levels, as you can see falls lake is about 8ft below normal. I myself really only fish the river portion of the lake just because I mainly use the ramp off of Six Forks. With a 25hp engine you will need to trailer to the HWY 50 ramp. From the Six Forks ramp it takes me about 40min to cruise up to the main lake at 30mph. I have a run-a-bout (bow-rider) with a 135hp. Not the most ideal setup for fishing, but I make it work. If I pass a jon boat in the area I will stop and take a look and post contact information if you would like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.