NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a chance that this might be the last pretty day for a while and hit Falls this afternoon around 3pm with a plan to try something a little different. I thought I'd give the "shemstreet rig" a try - 3-way trolling rig with a large deep diving crankbait on one leader and a smaller white bass attractor on the other.

The graph was full of fish in the top 10 feet of water in Upper Barton and lots of shad flipping on the surface.

My first 3-way trolling rig was a [-]DT-16[/-] (oops - that's an old Risto Rap!) on the bottom with a nose-hooked powerbait minnow free-lined above. Shorter leader for the crankbait, longer for the minnow.

I am in love with those little chartreuse glow power minnows - not for any reason because I can't remember ever catching anything on one. This combo didn't work too well on the kayak. The minnow didn't have enough drag to avoid twisting at the junction, and the [-]DT-16[/-] Risto Rap is a fast floater. OK under constant power, but a mess with all the changing of pace in the kayak (especially while I was trying to tie up the other rig). I didn't have any real 3-way swivels or rigs, which may have caused some of my problems. I just tied both leaders onto a single inline swivel.

The 2nd rig was a bassmaster or manns deep suspending crank on the bottom, with a 1/8oz rooster tail on the top.

This one seemed to work a lot better at kayak pace and was the one that caught my only fish of the afternoon. Nice pound-ish white bass near the mouth of upper barton:

Great evening for a paddle and always fun to experiment with a new rig. Not sure I would have done any better or worse trolling the standard shad raps. I've been skunked lots of times before in December pulling them over the heads of the suspended fish, so I do like the idea of getting baits a little farther down.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Always fun to try something new. If you just handed me the top two baits and said to run them together I think I might put the plastic behind the crank on a 2-3 ft section. ( tie it on a shank of the rear treble ) Wouldn`t be something that would cast well without a horrible tangled up mess but could be let out to troll. Just an idea......?
----------stu

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff - nice catch. Where did you launch from?
The Upper Barton Creek Boat Launch on Six Forks Rd. Its about a 1 mile paddle out the creek to the main lake channel. There's some great structure out there - intersections of Upper and Lower Barton Creek & the river, an island, a submerged island, all different shapes of points, shallow flats and the Hwy 98 bridge all within about a half mile of each other. Pretty much my "home on the water" as its the closest launch to me and one of the most diverse fishing areas I can reach.

I wish it were easier to get a kayak out in front of the dam - that used to be my "home" in my powerboat days.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Glad you caught one on it anyway. Second one is pretty close to what I use, the white bass just love those inlines (also small shad spoons).

I can definitely see the problem with a floating crank in a kayak, so the suspending one is probably a good idea. On my end I like them to float when I stop to untangle a mess, that way I don't have to worry to much about the unattended ones snagging the bottom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts