NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All lanes at the Hwy 50 boat launch are now back open thanks to the recent heavy rains. Please use caution, since a broken portion of the Rolling View dock is tied up and needs to be removed. We'll hopefully get out in the next few days to get this removed from the 50 ramps.

With this rainfall, I can only assume (I have not been able to confirm) that the WRC ramps should all be open as well. Maybe someone out there can confirm this.

The concrete abutment has been poured at the Rolling View and Holly Point ramps, but both remain closed until the wooden structure can be built. No word on when that might take place.

Also, for those of you that can't wait any longer, the Holly Point campground will be opening March 14.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Greg what is the least steep ramp on Falls lake?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drop, that's a good question. I've launched at Holly Point, Hwy 50, Rolling View, and our super secret maintenance boat ramp. Of those 3, RV is the least steep. I'm not sure about the WRC ramps. I've never launched from them. Maybe someone here with more various launching experience at Falls can answer that question.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have an old float on trailer and my new truck is 2 wheel drive so I'm trying to plan it out to be as simple as possible. Around here I have to get wet to load the boat!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have is a 14' jon boat with a 25 hp motor towed by a 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger and I have had no problem launching at any of the State Park ramps. You should be fine.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I'm sure most of you know by now Falls Lake has risen dramatically due to the recent rains. As a result, all Falls Lake ramps are now open. This includes the Rolling View Ramps, however we only have 3 of the 4 open. The second ramp from the right has rip rap and other debris still on the ramp that was submerged by the rapidly rising lake. We were unable to get the heavy equipment to the park in time to get it all removed. This ramp will remain closed until we can get that ramp cleared.

Also, not much work has been completed since the abutment was poured. The WRC guys are finished with the WRC ramp at Hickory Hill boat ramp (I think) and should be coming to RV to finish installing the floating dock portions. As always, I'll keep y'all posted.

Happy Boating!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I'm sure many of you who fish Falls Lake have noticed our new boat docks for Rolling View and Holly Point that were supposed to have been installed months ago have not, in fact, even been delivered. I was told yesterday that the new docks would be in on August 25th, to which I said, "What year? 2010, 2011?"

The new docks have been completed and we are now waiting for the Dept. Of Corrections (who built them) to deliver them. They will still have to be installed, which may take a few days. Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully we will have the new docks installed by Christmas...2013. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
The new docks have been completed and we are now waiting for the Dept. Of Corrections (who built them) to deliver them.
And I thought they only made license plates:).... Unfortunately it looks like two bureaucratic empires getting something done is at least 4x as bad as one (not casting stones - I live it daily in the private sector).

But kudos to State Parks/WRC & DofC for the teamwork - something meaningful for the prison work program, helps the users of state facilities, built local, stays local. I like the idea, even if the execution is a little slow... (no... not that kind of "execution":eek:... let's don't start that debate out here...)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Greg what is the least steep ramp on Falls lake?
Sundrop: as long as your truck is rear-wheel-drive, you shouldn't have any problems dropping in or loading your boat from any concrete ramp. Just ease on out without spinning the wheels and you'll be fine. Also, the steeper the ramp, the sooner your boat will lift off the trailer, and you might not need to get wet. If you are concerned the first few times you try a ramp, carry a bag of cheap clay cat litter and spread some in front of your rear tires before you come up the ramp. I've loaded and unloaded on many kinds of ramps with a 2wd Exploder with no problem, and even had to pull 4wd rigs out when the driver got a little over enthusiastic on the pull. If the clay doesn't do it, sticks and stones will. Best wishes...drjon

·
Registered
852 Posts
Watch Upper Bartons when the ramps are wet, especially on a cold rainy day. They are not grooved and do get slick. When dry they are fine, something about the rain, maybe it washes oil off the parking lot or something, but I almost got stuck there a couple weeks back and we did spin the tires a bit Saturday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.