NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone launched a kayak from the public fishing area off NC 98 just east of Falls Glen Ct? Falls Glen is north and west of the bridge and the public fishing area parking lot is south and east of the bridge. It looks like it might be a ways to the water. Anyone? There are some big signs about no waverunners etc...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I do not have a kayak, but from where you park your car it is going to be about a 100 yard or so walk to the water. The path is pretty clear though so if if you can carry your geer down you should have no problems. I have not been over there in quite a while but perhaps what they do not want is people driveing down that trail which is why there could be a sign about the wave runners

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Haven't tried - as I recall it is a pretty long haul down to the water from the parking area. Could be done with a cart or a (really good) buddy (even better buddy to help haul back up to the parking area). Its only a mile and a half paddle to there from the Upper Barton ramp (only!). I fish the intersection of Upper & lower Barton creeks and the main lake all the time from the Upper Barton Launch and often shoot back under the 98 bridge, especially when i see some topwater schooling activity back toward 98.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've thought about launching there too but its a long walk/haul with all the gear. A good cart would be a must then i'd do it in a heart beat.
If you don't need sand-capable wheels, you can make one for about $15 -- $10 for lawnmower wheels from Wal-Mart, a couple bucks for some axle bolts, and a couple bucks for some PVC fittings.

Reactions: moseyak and erayyak

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
If you don't need sand-capable wheels, you can make one for about $15 -- $10 for lawnmower wheels from Wal-Mart, a couple bucks for some axle bolts, and a couple bucks for some PVC fittings.

Just to share some info, if you need a Pneumatic tire to get across sand/terrain etc. Harbor Freight tools in Raleigh ( for you guys up there) Winterville (if your down my way) has some nice little tires/rims for less than $10 a piece.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice cart. Looks similar to the one i made a few years back. Mine worked real good for the prowler. I tried to haul a malibu2 and pungo on top. Well it worked good going downhill. But shattered into 4 pieces about 50' on the way back. Haven't made one since then.
Fishcrazy, I know exactly where your saying. I almost launched from there 3 weeks ago but changed my mind at the last minute. Next time i go c rappie fishin, i'm launching from there. Spring is near......but it needs to hurry up!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done this several times by myself. as long as you don't have a huge kayak, your fine. i put my rods/paddle/pfd/tackle in behind my seat and carry the yak upside down over my head with the back slightly angled down so the stuff doesn't fall out. The path is paved most of the way with some broken spots, but it's not bad. It is about 125 yards to the water from the car. My favorite spot is to go directly under the bridge and around to where the state park's boat ramp is and back into those coves (water is very shallow 1-4ft even when the water is at normal height) It appears to be the ultimate place to fish, because it is not accessible to large boats, but i have never caught a fish here because i don't know how to bass fish lol, but i almost had one jump in the boat with me haha. Wildlife is very much active in that area too (lots of turtles, saw 1 snake, a few dear, and a lot of fish jumping/rolling)

hope all of that makes sense haha and i hope it can be of some use to you folks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.