NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I wanna say sorry for asking this question I know some people get mad with it. I'm headed to falls tomorrow and maybe Sunday. Just moved here a month ago and haven't been able to get out much due to work. I've looked at maps and noticed that the river part looks like it has better points. Going off summer pattern I'm assuming they will be holding out deep. Was wondering if anyone could toss around some general areas to check out. I don't want your spots just don't wanna pay for s guide when I have a boat. I'll have deep cranks, big worm, football jig, c-rig, and a wobble head ready for deep water with some shallow water stuff rigged as well. And what would be the best place to launch there. I live by the north end and there is a free ramp I could use but would rather not fight the "fun" boats if I ain't got to. At least not at the ramp cause I'm sure the lake will be full of em I'll be in a 22' white triton. Stop by and say hello if ya see me :)Tight Lines

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you are on the north end like the I85 area, then you are about as far from boat traffic as you can get. Still be some up there but just for kicks go check out HWY 50 and Barton creek ramp:).

All good stuff to catch fish, but deep fish takes a lot of time to find. If you are going for the first time try to find some good shallow stuff to fish. There's still shallow fish to be caught.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Like the man said, the ramp off of Redwood is about as far away from the weekend's pleasure traffic as you can get. Reason is that the area is shallow and tends to be discolored, especially with storm water running thru the Eno. Best bet for a first timer is to head directly under Cheek Road bridge to eliminate most of the really shallow water. Or hit the next free ramp at Ledge Rock.

It's been a great spring on the lake but personally I'm in my usual summer stumped mode. Fishing deep in Falls can be a challenge for this fisherman. You can certainly pick up some fish shallow, especially early, but primetime ended with the heat wave we had. Of course the recent rains and break in the weather may have changed things a bit but....

·
Registered
940 Posts
Find a stump field or other structure in 18' or more of water. Tie on a C-rigged plum apple ol' monster with a 5/0 hook and hope for the best. <- classic

·
Registered
357 Posts
FYI, I have launched from Hickory Hill on the North end a lot, and it is very shallow around there. If you head to the right to cheek road bridge, you will probably be fine. If you go to the left, it can be anywhere from 3 inches to 5 feet of water outside of the channel. I have always heard that the Core of Engineers screwed up and the lake was supposed to be 10 feet deeper. Using google you can probably find some pictures from the lake during a bad drought. Everything is dry except for the channel. I have been up there when it is low and there is a sunken boat on the left, about 300 yards from the dock. I can only assume they hit a shoal, stump, or some other hazard and failed to make it back to the dock.

Long story short, if you go up there, your depth finder is your friend.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Ledge rock is a good ramp to use in the summer. Be extremely cautious running the upper end of the lake., going up towards cheek road and beyond, you can get in trouble quick if you get out of the channel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like you have the right fishing gear...I love that lake but prefer it in Spring or Fall. That's the only lake that I regularly get checked by the game warden so have all necessary boating and safety equipment.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
How did it go? Enquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Not been great on falls for me but I'm gettin off work now from a 2am concrete pour. Figured I would leave and go on out there and give it a few hours. Will report tonight :)
2Am concrete pour wow thats late! Good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Utah finished the pour at 8am gotta get it before it gets hot.

Fishing was was tough today and boy was it hot and sunny. Found a giant school of white with a couple small bass mixed in. Then went over to some rip rap and had my heart broken. Hooked one that was easily 8-10 pounds and fought her to the boat. Her last dive broke my heart. Couldn't get to the net and she spit my crank at me from about 1 foot away!! I screamed a little and was heart broken!! Would have been my new personal best. Ended up fishing that rip rap for 3 more hours with everything I had and didn't even get a nibble after that one. I know where I'll be going next time and what I'll be using :)

tight lines!!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Utah finished the pour at 8am gotta get it before it gets hot.

Fishing was was tough today and boy was it hot and sunny. Found a giant school of white with a couple small bass mixed in. Then went over to some rip rap and had my heart broken. Hooked one that was easily 8-10 pounds and fought her to the boat. Her last dive broke my heart. Couldn't get to the net and she spit my crank at me from about 1 foot away!! I screamed a little and was heart broken!! Would have been my new personal best. Ended up fishing that rip rap for 3 more hours with everything I had and didn't even get a nibble after that one. I know where I'll be going next time and what I'll be using :)

tight lines!!
Gotta go with red eye shad!!! Bummer ya lost that biggie next time you will nail it!!!,

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
357 Posts
Atta, if you don't mind sharing, where abouts did you run across the white bass? I know their schools roam, but I could not locate any the other day when I was there. Think I may have been looking in the wrong areas though. I have been able to find huge schools of them in the late spring/early summer. But not now. Don't need any specifics areas, just general locations. I know Falls pretty good, so general areas should work. You can also PM me if you prefer. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Atta, if you don't mind sharing, where abouts did you run across the white bass? I know their schools roam, but I could not locate any the other day when I was there. Think I may have been looking in the wrong areas though. I have been able to find huge schools of them in the late spring/early summer. But not now. Don't need any specifics areas, just general locations. I know Falls pretty good, so general areas should work. You can also PM me if you prefer. Thanks.
I usually hear them running near the dam between beaver dam and main lake

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.