NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally go the boat in the water and I should of waited, fished Falls today around Rolling Veiw towards HGWY 50 ramp and all I got was a short and one cat, tried everything, anybody been doing anything around there?
Water was 64 degrees and the clearest I have ever seen it, when the wind was not howling, Marked large schools of something in the second cove on right after HGWY 50? right on the river channel incline about 15 ft
Crappie?
Anybody any ideas?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Last Saturday up in the top of Beaver Dam I caught 3 bass on 4" lizards. Some shore fisherman were catcing crappie like crazy on blood worms down by the Beaver dam primitive put in area. I may go back this weekend............

Reactions: green envy

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Bass I caught were about a mile up the lake under the bridge and up in the water covered with foleage.

Reactions: green envy

·
Registered
56 Posts
The beaverdam spot is great for crappie and gill's, You can fish right from the submerged road bed and not have to move anywhere.

Are there nice gills in Falls above Beaverdam:eek:? All I can find is small ones.:( Crappie have been great this year, hitting on bettle spin, rooster tails and minnows. But I really would prefer to find some bluegill. Any hints?

thanks
cobra-drvr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Last year we usually fished via canoe at beaverdam launching at the submerged road bed. We have fished the road bed for crappie during the spring and have done well. We mostly concentrated on the shorelines on the right, to the point and down towards the Old Weaver Trail bridge. Or we would head to the left, work that shore and head into the little cove. We have fished the bridge too. We did pretty well getting some bass (catch and release) and crappie.

This year I have a motor boat and have been launching at Six Forks and Creedmore. We have found Crappie in the coves and done quite well.

But I really would like to find some Bluegill and all we can get is ones that are far to small. We mainly fish white rooster tails, white or green fluorescent beetle spin, live worms or minnows. I think we tried crickets once too.

Even though I have a power boat I really enjoy fishing beaverdam in a canoe with my fishing buddy. We will be fishing bass in my boat this Saturday morning taking a break from ~11 - 4 and then go to beaverdam for some evening crappie fishing. I would try for Bluegill if I could figure out where some keepers are or what I am doing wrong to miss them. :D

thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Barton creek ramp is a good place to put in. When you get in the water look to the right and you'll see alot of stumps and trees in the water. I have pulled some nice gills outta there. You can also come back over to Newlight rd and fish the coves around there for them. Deep water at Newlight bridge holds fat cats and the coves up and down are good for Bass, Crappie and Bream. They get finicky in the shallows so make sure you have crickets on standby. I think they built a new ramp near Newlight rd..Holly Ridge? or something like that. I moved away almost 3 yrs ago and they opened it since then. Google "Newlight rd" and you'll see the layout. I'm not sure if thats considered Wake Forest or Durham out there..Probably Wake Forest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the information Sundrop I will have to find newlight bridge etc

Wow I cant find crappie or blue gill now :(

I have tried crickets, worms and minnows, fished around ledge rock including the stump field, beaverdam and route 50 launch. All I can find is catfish and white bass. Going to try again tommorow night. Hope to hit the water around 6 launch from ledge rock. And to top it off now I am struggling with bass too. 0 largemouth bass in my last three trips. Oh well a bad day fishing.......

cobra-drvr

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hot water may have sent the crappie deep by now, and if your off by 1 ft they wont even look at a bait. Finicky little buggers when they arent spawning and the water gets hot! Try seeking dropoffs and deep cover along the main channels or fresh runoff near tributaries or drainage for cooler water just at and just after dark.12-20 ft isn't unusual.... Crappie feed best at night this time of year in my opinion..drop a crappie light to draw baitfish and fish the shadows just beyond the lights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I finally found some crappie. We fished Sat morning at the 50 bridge from 4 - 6 am and didnt get a bite. Went to a cove and fished for bass without much success. Switched back to crappie and found some in 20 ft of water fishing about 15 feet down. My fishin buddy went back to the same spot Sun morning and was able to catch them there again. Still havent found a bluegill worth keeping but I will keep trying :)

bpostma

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.