NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out today with my friend John. We started heading out to the schoolhouse, but we ran into some rain about 3/4 of the way. We headed north away from the rain, and ended up about 20 miles out from Topsail inlet. A good location recommended by who else but The Topsail Angler. We trolled some Balleyhoo and within minutes hooked up with the first False Albacore. After a couple of sharks, another nice False Albacore hit. The temp was in the mid 60s and the water was like a sheet of glass. No waves or swells to speak of. We had a terrific day fishing with weather that couldn't be beat for this time of year.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
sounds like a nice way to steal a warm Jan day!

Reactions: Big Al

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just wondering if it is possible to catch these from the surf in the southern beaches (aka below Hatteras) as I've heard of people catching them at Hatteras. 60mph top speed? Gonna need alot of line :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for your replies, the only place I've heard about them being caught from surf is at Hatteras, didn't know if you could catch em anywhere else. Bummer, heard they were really fun to catch and peel 100-200yds line when you first hook up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have seen folks, myself included, catch one during a bluefish blitz on a pier. Mine was at Rodanthe. Light tackle, gotcha plug, took my line and ran to the end of the pier. Finally got him turned and played him out until a net pulled him up. Loads of fun. But, again, I have never seen anyone catch one in the surf.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have always fished from a boat and have never seen false albacore closer than about a mile out from the beach. I don't think you would have much luck catching them in the surf they seem to prefer 40 feet and deeper.:cool:

If you do see them close in try pitching a medium ballyhoo at them. They always hit mine trolling.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Apparently you can catch em in Hatteras from shore, but that seems like the only place I've seen after doing some searching. From a different forum, mods can delete if necessary. If I can post a link to the discussion, I will. Apparently they show up "at the point" and south beach? Not real familiar with Hatteras but wished we could catch em from shore around Atlantic :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
During the fall when the albies school up nearshore around cape lookout they will often chase bait balls near the surface and alot of times work their way into the hook of the inlet, weve always fly fished off a boat for um but ive seen people casting from the point on the beach using flyrods before.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have seen them in the wash and easily reached witha short cast at EI,Atlantic Beach,Ft. macon(jetty and shoreline)and Masonboro Inlet.They are commonly hooked by flyfishers around the hook and the Shackleford side of Beaufort Inlet. problem always is not being able to handle the first run when not expected and keeping them on w/ boats and other casters near when you are targeting them.I have seen dozens hooked near shoreand have hooked up in 18 " of water near Radio Island.When they are chasing bait they are focused on gettin' the groceries.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have also seen them in the wash chasing glass minnows up onto the sand. You could catch them with a dip net :) They move so fast though. You would really need to be at the right place at the right time. The fun part about catching them in shallow water is that they can't dive, all they can do is run!

Keith

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no specific plans for false albies at this time, but I do plan on going after Bonito now that they've arrived! The winds have been nasty all week so the boat has been seeing alot of driveway. The winds will be dying down by friday (OF COURSE) thats when I work! Friday, saturday and sunday are work days for me and the seas are supposed to be pretty calm. Oh well' good luck to anyone else who might go out this weekend. If your ever in the Hampstead area during the week, give me a holler, either PM or E-Mail, maybe we can work something out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.