NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farmer Lake is a little bitty lake just southwest of the little bitty town of Yanceyville, but according to the pictures on the Ranger's bulletin board, I got the impression that there are/were some hellacious bass in there. Those pictures came from pre-spawn and spawn time this spring. This summer was a different story: small, shallow, with a very shallow upper end, it heats up fast. The Ranger told me that it was hard to learn the lake, particularly in the hot months. I asked myself: self, how hard can it be? I've got fish finders, I've got Rapala, I've got KVD stuff, ****, I've got Gulp! Answer: I caught two non-keepers during three trips. I'm no pro Bassmaster, but geez.... I'm hoping that fall temperatures will cool things off and bring the big guys out from under wherever they are hiding so maybe I can recover my ego, which was crushed not once but three times. I suspect that the Ranger brought a big bass over from Randleman, kept it alive in a barrel, then had all of his friends hold it one at a time for the pictures. And he seemed like such a nice guy! :(

G

·
I've been fishing there and that's true they are some monster bass but it has been really hot and dry and I didn't even fish over there at all this year!

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
If that ranger's name is Eric Barnhardt, he probably brought the fish from a lake near Chapel Hill... that's where he used to work. In all seriousness, if you go out there again and the Lake Warden's name is Eric Barnhardt, tell him Sam from High Point said 'hi'. I used to use his dock on the lake where he used to be the head Warden.

I know nothing about Farmers Lake, but I hope to someday make it out there just to say hi to Eric.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Farmer is tough, and not just in the hot weather. It gets very little traffic, but most of the folks who fish it know those fish by name. By the weekend most of the good fish have been lifted, photoed, weighed and returned at least once. Also being as small as it is even the minimal boat traffic it gets puts the fish off traditional patterns.
If you really want to be a good citizen:) bring the crappie gear and take a hundred or so of the zillions of 4"-5" see thru papermouths home. The population is stunted and needs serious thinning(this according to a state fisheries biologist).
It's a great place to take younguns though ....... Had the 2 youngest boys out there one day this summer and in a couple hours each they had caught about 30 little crappie and very small bass.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Used to catch some nice ones in there but i havnt been there in years. I grew up in Northern Alamance co and my stomping grounds Were Alamance co and Caswell co....They used to have a couple of night catfish tourneys a year way back when . I wonder if they still have those???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.