NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i lived my first 18 years with a fly rod in my hand catching many fresh water fish. salt water fishing is a new thing for me..

however i have a friend who is also a vetern fly slinger, who would love to catch a fat albert-false ablabacore- on a fly rod.

now i know fat ablerts look a bit like small tuna's. which mean blazing fast runs. now my questions to you guys is:

as crazy as it sounds can it be done? what fly designs are best for these fish-streamers like duh-

11-12 wt rod would be my guess also as much backing as you can pack on these reels. but what about leader weight?

zooker

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I'm new to the fly game but I can tell ya from my friends - FA flyfishing is what they LIVE for. They told me when I was starting out last year to use anything that looked like a glass minnow (cause it was spring and that is what is near shore then). I used a 9 wt but that is because I wanted one rod to start with that I could fish for several species and put intermediate weight line on it. They are a blast, bonito too. Man they can pull!

·
Registered
145 Posts
ive been researching the same thing for the next october run at cape lookout . Ive found you can get away with a 9wt rod, like topsail said glass minnow patterns are great but just like any fishing just find a fly that matches the forage of the water at that time.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I've been tying some for the next Bonita run. Like Tadpole1 and TA said Glass Minnow imitations are the tciket. The majority are tied on size 2 hooks but they are sometimes tied on 6 or 8s to match the size of the bait. The patterns that I'm tying are Cowen's Baitfish, Polar Fibre Minnow, EP Glass Minnow, and Clousers.

You can use a 9wt but most people use at least a 10wt. Albacore tend to run for the bottom when hooked and a round with the backbone to lift them to the boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.