NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my family out to Rivers edge Family Campground for some good fishing, and hopefully some catching as well. We arrived on Friday night to set up our tents and get an early start on Saturday to hunt down the Trout with anticipation of the season opening on Fathers day. We had a lot of rain that night but we all stayed dry. The next morning my cousin Chester and I headed out early, with not much luck. I was told the fish would be in the mouths of the creeks but I couldn't find them, so i started working in the creeks to the places I had caught them in the fall. The day wasn't totally a bust because I did end up hooking a large ray in the wing, using my trout set up ..man did he fight!
Water Fin Fish Recreation Ray-finned fish

As you can see the water was very cloudy from the rain the night before...so headed in without a single trout bite. But not to worry because backup was on the way. papadave (my father) was arriving and he had a line and a couple of fellow RedXer's who were more than happy to come wet a hook with us and show us around Bay River! So on Fathers Day the five of us hit the water. papadave had Chris and Chris in his SeaArk, clane and ******, and Chester and I were in my 15'4 Gheenoe. We had decent success, trout were going in the box and they were nice, up to 21" all were caught on popping corks.
Water Sky Lake Angling Outdoor recreation

So we rounded this one point and there was a skinny creek with some nice docks, I thought I might find a drum hiding in there, and who doesn't like to catch a drum. So we were making our way in and I through my 3"white gulp pogey on a 1/4 oz jig painted red up next to a stump. I jigged it twice, went to jig it again, but it was swimming away. My first impression was it was a drum, yay! But as I put some pressure on the fish, line came screaming off my reel. I use a 6'6" medium rod with a 2500 series reel loaded with 10lb braid to catch trout. I began to worry I had hooked another ray, it was fun the first time but now I didn't really want to go through all that again. So the rod was bent, line was screaming off, and I'm barking out orders to Chester(who has control of the trolling motor). My arm was getting really tired...so I would hold it in the other hand and swing my arm around in circles. now the other boat was 200-300 yards away and could see that I had a good fish on the line, and occasionally swing my arm like I was doing the "air guitar".. They just assumed I had a ray, as did I. Finally I catch a glimpse of whats on the end of the line....is that a shark!?...no it's an OLD DRUM!!! So we get papadave on the phone and tell him we got a drum that's bigger than my net and I need help, they are on the way... By the time they get to us the fish was ready to be landed..

So begins the second struggle. As we get together I almost flipped my Gheenoe trying to get the fish up out of the water to remove the hook and get some quick picks and a measurement. Glad clane was there! Shout out to you Chris! Without him I wouldn't have know what to do and may not have handled the fish properly for a good clean release. After the fight with the fish in the water I could barely hold this colossal fish in my arms, as you can see the struggle on my face(a bit of shock too!)

So immediately Chris began to remove the hook, and get a measurement 52inches!!!

Then came to the release, these guys showed such tremendous respect for this animal, as should be that fish was more than likely older than I. The water was full of jelly fish, but that was not as important as this fish "swimming" away! Chris endured many stings to make sure our state fish lived!

As far as I can remember the rest of the day was a wash, but I don't think that anyone really cared.

The rest of the week went great! Tuesday I had the opportunity to fish with ****** again, he continued to teach me the ways of the trout, thanks to him we were able to have fresh trout two nights in a row...trout for 8...

Smile Motor vehicle Boat Shorts Watercraft
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Vertebrate
Water Shorts Lake Outdoor recreation Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Sky Shorts Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Boat
Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Boat Lake
Water Sky Cloud Lake Atmospheric phenomenon

I really would like to thank papadave, clane, and ****** for making it such a memorable fathers day! :cool: I look forward to fishing with y'all again!!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That was an awesome catch on any reel but to land it on that light rig was a real double treat!! I caught both of my Old drum at Bay. I will be back out there as soon as I get the old boat done!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Couldn't have had a better father's day than watching son #1 boat that beautiful fish. Add to it having 2 young men on my boat that I'd be proud to claim as my on and it was the perfect outing.
Gotta second Rob's brag on Mr. Lane, he treated that fish like a loved one(as it was).
One of the best family vacations to date!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been waiting a couple of days for the story that went with the picture I got on the phone. Glad you got such a great fish, and that the Gheenoe is working out for everyone. next time it is Ian's turn. I wish I could have made it.

Darrell

Yeah, the whole week Ian was saying he wanted to catch old drum, old trout, old flounder....
If I recall correctly he did out fish papadave one day using a skitterwalk

Water Sky Vertebrate Outdoor recreation Fisherman

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Now im all twitchy for the Bay River m&g!

Great fishing gentleman!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro
I'm not waiting that long, I just decided to heck with adding all my "stuff" to the boat I bought, I'm gonna get the lights working, toss in a folding chair and my depth finder and some rod holders and go chase some OLD REDS!! I can do all the fancy stuff later! It runs and it tows!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.