NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the standards ie Old Man and the Sea, Islands in the Stream, A River runs through it. What are some of your favorite fishing related novels?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I really enjoyed all of Linda Greenlaws books, She was the female swordboat captain in the book/movie "The Perfect Storm" I have read, The Lobster Cronicles, All Fishermen Are Liars and The Hungry Ocean. I give them all two thumbs up.

Another book that was really good was "Totch, a life in the everglades" by Loren G. "Totch" Brown. This is a great book about a man who grew up in the 1920's hunting and fishing in the Everglades. I really hated finishing this book, I couldn't put it down, then missed all the adventure when it was over. I wanted to go back in time, sit with Totch by a campfire and eat fried egret.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
"The Old man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark. The author actually grew up in NC and wrote the book. It's about hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Defenitely a book for youngsters to read. It teaches everything you need to know about the outdoors. It's the best book of it's kind I have ever read.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I'm struggling to come up with something. A sign of how much I've been reading over the last 20 yrs or so... kind of sad.

The only one that's coming to mind right now was one I found in my middle school library and read several times called "The Pond" by Robert Murphy. City kid goes to spend the summer with a much older aunt & uncle way out in the country. Big pond, big woods, lots of life lessons from solitude and rural life. And he catches the giant bass before the story ends. Good stuff for a 13 yr old that would have traded places with him in a heart beat. It was so long ago for me that it could have been much better than I recall or much worse. Apparently not a lasting literary gem as its long been out of printing. It may not be available in middle school libraries anymore, but its still providing a few vivid memories for me about 30 years later... Going to have to find a used copy somewhere for the collection.

Must have been some others - I'll poke around the shelves and see if I can find anything.

Good post - I could use a little more time with the written word. I hope we get a good list going...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.