NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some years now I have used Berkeley’s Vanish Florocarbon line but as of late I have experienced break offs at my knots or where the line folds over. All things considered I was wondering what other brands people were using and why. What’s your favorite?

·
Registered
131 Posts
For some years now I have used Berkeley’s Vanish Florocarbon line but as of late I have experienced break offs at my knots or where the line folds over. All things considered I was wondering what other brands people were using and why. What’s your favorite?
Vanish does get old and somewhat brittle, but is the best for the price. I just buy a new spool every other year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would just use the fluoro carbon line as a leader instead of spooling your whole reel with it. I had the same issue 20 years ago when I 1st discovered vanish. Was steelhead fishing in light-ish rain, and everytime I set the hook the line would break. :(

I use seaguar now and haven't had many issues. I change the leader bout every 3X i fish. The guides I've had in the past all recommended it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have tried many different lines, most all with a spinning set up... I agree with using just flourocarbon as a leader. It is annoying to tie on leaders in a rush, but it is worth it. I used berkley flouro when I first moved south... after convincing by a friend, I switched to braid with a mono or flouro leader. Braid casts way further because of the diameter, it does have its shortfalls... wind knots and more difficult to tie... but you can feel so much more. PLine is another alternative... it is a copolymer that shares both mono and flouro attributes. If I were filling a whole spool, and wanted it to be clear and usable... id use that. I use Pline or Seaguar for my leaders most all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fish exclusively with spinning reels. I started using braid with mono or fluorocarbon leaders several years ago. As Hellomcfly2 pointed out light, thin diameter braid casts extremely well, and is very sensitive, giving you a much better feel. But tends to be troublesome with wind knots, and overlapping, and it is very difficult to untangle when you do get a tangle.
This past winter I saw an advertisement for Berkley Fireline. They claimed this braided fishing line was specifically designed for spinning reels. I decided to give it a try. I use the 14lb test, .23mm diameter flame green line on my Ned Rig setups. Being retired, most weeks I fish 2 to 3 times each week, weather permitting. I've been using this Fireline for months now, and have yet to get a single wind knot or tangle of any kind. I'm using Power Pro Spectra on my other reels. I've had several wind knots to deal with with those reels. I probably use the Ned rig more often than any other type lures so far this year. This Berkley Fireline has held up extremely well, and I have yet to get a single tangle. I will be switching my other reels to Fireline before next season. The only bad thing I can say regarding the Fireline is that the color fades quicker than other lines I have used. It leaves the line looking white, but I have no trouble seeing the white line, so I don't count it as being a negative. I always use a 4 to 6 ft leader, so I don't think the white line gets noticed by the fish.

And that's my two cents worth. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts