NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a big difference in jig heads. Some have bigger, heavier hooks, while some have a different profile.

Some heads are triangular, some are rounded.

Is there a preferred version for trout? I'm sure that I won't get a consensus, but can you explain what you look for in a jig head?

I'm not sure that I'm rigging them correctly. My jerk shads never lay "flat" on the hook.

Thx

·
Registered
525 Posts
Jigheads

I choose jigheads based on the type of bait I'm using rather than the targeted fish species. They all have one thing in common - a quality, wide gap heavy gauge hook as opposed to a fine wire hook. I use Blue Water Candy heads for Gulp baits because they only have one barb on the collar and won't tear up the bait too badly. For grubs and jerk baits, I prefer DOA heads. They have two barbs on the collar which tend to hold soft plastics snug and secure against the head itself. Z-Man baits are peculiar. Their own brand jighead works best on them due to that barbed pin that secures the body and holds it against the head.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
There are different shapes for different applications. Some heads are better suited for swimming a bait, others may be designed to come through grass or rocks without getting stuck as easy. The position of the line tie may be another thing to consider. Lighter wire hooks penetrate easier, yet too light a hook may bend if you fish for big fish with heavy tackle or in heavy cover.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I really like the cheap lead ball head jigs with the thin wire. A- they are cheap. B-I've never had one brake or straighten out on a fish and C- a plain unpainted lead head just seems to bother fish less when they prefer a specific color lure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
John, That's where I found them a couple of years ago. Great jigs and paddletails....Why don't you bring some down and introduce them to the guys. I think I saw where you are going to try to hit the 'hothole' in Feb. They would save on shipping costs....maybe Slayer would like to donate to the NC fishing club to open up a new venue for future sales. I'm partial to red 1/8 and 1/4 myself. lol. Maybe I'll seeya in Feb. Don

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like the Blue Water Candy ball heads. You can get the unpainted ones in a pack of 25 and save some money. I don't think jig head color matters that much. I use these the most. The hook shank can be a little long for some shorter baits. If I need a heavier hook for puppy drum or rockfish, their Aftershock jig head works well. These also have a shorter hook shank, which is necessary with some baits. DOA also makes some very good jig heads, but they're pricey.

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.