NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have a favorite net? I was trying to pick one out and it's either really expensive or possibly junk.

Need some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Most seem to prefer the rubber mesh since that doesn't snag hooks as bad and doesn't absorb as much water and slime.
Prices ranges from about $35 or so...and on up over a hundred. Those $35-50 nets work welll for a lot of anglers. More expensive nets have deeper bags and much nicer wood and finiishing. I think trout anglers should get a net for the possible big fish....not the trout that are routinely caught....so something that will easily hold an 18-20" fish at least. If you get a shallow net, sometimes the fish can easily flip out...a lot of the inexpensive nets have a shallow bag. If you get an expensive net and fall on it and break it....it may be tough or impossible to repair well. But, nice wood nets are really nice.... The new graphite nets by fishpond are pricey...but may be the last net you buy.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Looks like a good choice, doesn't look very deep, but the one I have will stretch out some with a fish in it. I deep basket is nice but bad to hang in the brush when your walking around.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Appears to be the same or similar to the imported nets that several of us have sold....along with Cortland, Wal-mart etc. If so, it's a servicable net and the quality is good. The rubber bag is a little more flexible than some of the more expensive nets...so if you are wearing it on your back it doesn't look so much like a radar dome attached to you. One or two had a slight delamination in the hoop but not a big deal. Bag is a little shallow but ok...have had a fish or two flip back out of the net...so be on your guard when landing a trophy.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Do any of you guys have a favorite net? I was trying to pick one out and it's either really expensive or possibly junk.

Need some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you see the one had on my back? That's the one that I assume Richard's describing to you. It's rubber mesh and works great. Also, the setup that I use with the magnet works perfectly.

Most seem to prefer the rubber mesh since that doesn't snag hooks as bad and doesn't absorb as much water and slime.
Prices ranges from about $35 or so...and on up over a hundred. Those $35-50 nets work welll for a lot of anglers. More expensive nets have deeper bags and much nicer wood and finiishing. I think trout anglers should get a net for the possible big fish....not the trout that are routinely caught....so something that will easily hold an 18-20" fish at least. If you get a shallow net, sometimes the fish can easily flip out...a lot of the inexpensive nets have a shallow bag. If you get an expensive net and fall on it and break it....it may be tough or impossible to repair well. But, nice wood nets are really nice.... The new graphite nets by fishpond are pricey...but may be the last net you buy.
What he said^^^

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought one very similar to the one you have the link to, mines shaped a little different and has a deeper net, same company though and got it off Amazon. Great bang for your buck, I have a more expensive one with a mesh bag and this one is just as durable, already dropped it a few times and fell on it and its still holding up. I'd definitely recommend this one if your trying to save some money but if you do want to spend a few extra bucks the Nomad net from Fishpond Richard spoke of is a good investment.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Now is good time to ask a question that I may have asked before but can't find or remember. I also have a small mesh net, with no knots and a soft flat thread used to weave the basket. It was described to be as gentle as rubber, I don't usually carry it because the hooks tend to get caught in, but it was described as being as gentle on the trout as a rubber one.

any Opinions?

Darrell

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the net that was linked above. I don't use it anymore. I have lost several 20"+ fish because they flop out of the net. Its way to shallow and stiff. I know that is this net has many different brand names but it seems to me that they all are the same net. So I too am in the market for a new net.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.