NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a lot of chat on a different thread and really makes me miss home .. what are some of the favorite NON game fish species . For example . Yellow Perch , Roanoke bass, WAR mouth , suckers what is your favorite and technique .....GO let's see what you have

·
Registered
365 Posts
I"d need to see a list of the species. I don't have them all in my head, and no time for now to look 'em up...
...but - I catch a lot of Yellow Perch trolling, and I like that a lot.

I don't catch white perch much (does it qualify?), but I think if I was to catch some of the bigger ones, I'd like that too.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will start I love white bass fishing . Next would have to be Roanoke bass followed by war mouth all on an ultralight just fun fishing . There are no expectations just fun fishing and when the micro light has a heavy bow in it and you don't know what is on the other end is just exciting. I have more Sleigh rides in a kayak frim large panfish on an ultralight than bass . The heavier tackle I use on bass brings them right in before the ride can begin sometimes

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am saying the game fish are large mouth smallmouth blue cats and flat heads and even crappie . Anything else goes . There are Not many people that talk about them or actually target them directly . But we all smile when we catch one . But when we start talking about them we get kinda excited because we do catch them so share those experiences and i think we will see something come up in the near future that might be interesting

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Redear/shellcracker - You put me in a lake with some 1lb+ red ears, and I'm a happy camper. They seem to fight better than any other sunfish (to me). Ultra light or cane pole.... FUN!

White bass - Sadly gone from most of the waters I fish, but I've had a ball chasing them on the eno every year.

Yellow Perch - I think these are some of the most beautiful fish in frest water. Great colors.

(you need to include trout, stripers, muskie, and pickerel with the gamefish).

What I would HATE to catch: Gar or bowfin. You can keep the toothy critters.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have to join Fiend and biglenr...

LOVE white bass - didn't think about them being on the list, and
LOVE jacks too - I catch quite a few while doing that trolling that gets me yellow perch. They are a royal hoot!

Oops, so now I've violated the spirit of the thread. I haven't picked a Favorite (which I assume means one).
- The brackets have narrowed the choice down to two: White Bass and Jacks.

And the winner is...

Plus Fishin',
RW

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two enthusiastic thumbs up for Carp. Great fight, and often the biggest freshwater fish you are going to find in any given area. Nothing like the calm being interrupted in a second by a screaming baitrunner!

Roanoke Bass - love catching them in the Eno and will miss it when I inevitably move from the area

Freshwater Drum - used to catch these all the time back home around the Great Lakes.

No pike down here. I miss pike fishing (I would count these as game fish but given that yellow perch are on the list I figured pike would too).

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep them coming . There is a surprising amount of chain pickerel in the triangle area . The nc version of jacks. I have e caught a bunch of them fishing as a by product. That's a good one there are an abundance of carp tournaments around here

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
This would be very difficult for me, but since I target bream most of the time on my 4 wt fly rod, I'll give them a thumbs up. LMBs are fun on that same fly rod. It has been a long time since I've caught a chain pickerel, and have nver caught one on either of my fly rods yet. The ones I used to catch were when I used a large stick lure for LMBs, and was working that lure a bit too fast for LMBs. War mouths are fun also, but I rarely catch them.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
White bass and hybrids would have to be at the top for me (I think the state considers them gamefish).

Only caught one freshwater drum but it was fun, I wouldnt mind catching more.

I hate jacks and bowfin, I do like to mess with the gar when I see them but I rarely stick one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Freshwater will surely be carp all the way. Second would be gar. I just started fly fishing this year and have caught more gar than anything on my flyrod. When nothing else takes i go to the shallows and go for the gar just to get a bend in my rod.

Saltwater, I will have to agree with roostertail. Jack crevalle. I have yet to get into them but some videos online make it look like a lot of fun on the flyrod if you are in an area thick with them

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd say roanoke bass is my favorite, but when I can't make it to the Eno my obvious second would be warmouth. Those things are ambitious buggers. I've caught warmouth on all kinds of bass baits and they can put in a nice fight. My first ever buzzbait fish was a warmouth, believe it or not.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.