NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of popping corks out there- any particularly recommended?

I have trouble casting them for any distance or accuracy, any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
I like Bomber or Inshore Extreme brands, they aren't twisted on the ends they are crimped. Ive had my braid twisted in the other kinds that are just twisted together. They are a very valuable asset to all types of fishing. I use them from pier to surf fishing to bank fishing to boat. Live bait, cut bait and soft baits. Leader depends on depth you are fishing. Ive caught blues, Spanish, red and black drum, flounder etc.... always have one rod with it tied on...

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Another vote for the cheap ones. They have a lead bullet weight on the bottom half whereas some just have metal beads. Sometimes the ones with beads won't stand up if you have a slow falling bait like a DOA shrimp until its at the bottom of the length of line.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've got a couple that came with the D.O.A. "Deadly Combo" they are low profile and have lasted three or four seasons of fishing them. They cast pretty well for a cork, and have halped catch plenty of fish. Definatly a must have in my salt box!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I landed my largest caught red drum on a popping cork, and many speckled trout. Popping corks are a very good method

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Gotta go with the Bomber Extreme. I have never seen a wire bend on these. I used on 2 last season one for me and one for the wife and will use them again this year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Popping corks work good on all kinds of inshore fish. I just don't like to use them very much. When I do use em I like the Bomber brand. They seem to hold up well and a storm shrimp or a Billy Bay shrimp works well under them. My biggest issue is with guys that like to use a 3' leader on a cork rig in 18" of water. You will deep hook a lot of fish if you do this and I do not like to deep hook every fish I hook. If you have to use a cork to catch a flounder or red because you can't tell when they bite a jig without one then you may want to try and learn. Sorry for the rant but I see this a lot with the popping cork rig.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
I think it it is a matter of understanding the conditions you are fishing. I feel pretty confident most folks know what a bite feels like. And surely most folks know to adjust there leader lengths according to depth.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I personally like to make my own, that way you can add the type.size weight you like as well as the beads, and, like anything else if you have faith in your work you know its done right.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think it it is a matter of understanding the conditions you are fishing. I feel pretty confident most folks know what a bite feels like. And surely most folks know to adjust there leader lengths according to depth.
Maybe it's just some of the guys I fish with. I have to get on them from time to time. Either way I was just letting folks know what can and will happen if you choose to use to much leader for the water depth you are targeting. Wasn't trying to offend anyone just passing along some info they may help folks be more aware of having the right leader lenght. Go get em!! They're biting good on the Neuse!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts