NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tarheel Fish & Game hosted the First Annual Fly Tie A Thon for the March of Dimes . There were several tyers present but there were four tyers who kept tying for 24 hours. The group raised over $3000.00 for the March of Dimes and donated the Flies to Casting for Recovery. Casting for Recovery is a group that provides Fly Fishing retreats for women who have or have had Breast Cancer. The plan is to hold the event in a larger area and attract more tyers to the second event. Though I didn't endure the around the clock session, I stopped in with my son and we both learned a few tying tricks and enjoyed spending time with Fellow Fly Fishers. I hope some of the NCAngler crowd will join us for the next. What an awesome way to benefit a couple of great causes.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
redfishtom-
I'll post an announcement for the next event. I believe that they plan to tie for 12 hrs at the next event. The 24hr thing seemed to be a bit much. The tyers tied all sorts of patterns. Everyone worked on their speciality and traded tips and hints with each other. I learned to tie a new Crab pattern and really had a great time. I'm looking forward to the next event.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Question about Fayetteville fly tyers

Is this a group that anyone can join? If so, how? I was just getting into fly fishing when grandpa died. Trying to get into it again. Although I've lost my touch (only casting about 12-15 feet) I want to be involved.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I hope some of your fly tyers will take advantage of the "Fly Ties" database that I created earlier this year. Forrest and Capt. Gary Dubiel have forged the trail and I think they are the only ones to date who have uploaded photos and instructions on some of their custom ties. The Fly Ties program was created as a way to share custom fly tying by our members and I'm looking for patterns and ties that I can add to the database. We currently have a contest going for the best Fly Tie submitted. The winner will get a $100 gift certificate. Originally I was going to make it a gift certificate to a Fly Fishing store but would be happy to make that offer apply to our own eStore. Either way it is money out of my pocket in an effort to get folks adding content to the site that benefits other members. So I hope you'll take time to add your custom Fly Tie to the database. Just click the "Fly Ties" link above and the click on "Add Fly Tie information here!" and follow the directions. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
have several patterns and ties that I wanted to post , but unfortunately the last trip I went on with my boss, his son stepped on my digital camera, so I am unable to take photos until I can either buy another one, or send it over my camera phone:(

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Bummer! I don't suppose the boss volunteered to pay for it. :( If you want to post your Fly Tie info you can always use your cell phone camera and email them to me. I'll be happy to add them to your Tie information. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
couldn't really blame the kid, I had it in a simms waterproof bag and left it on the deck of the boat under my shirt.:( kept saying he was sorry, but he didn't know it was laying there. will try the cell phone and see how that works. thanks.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That tie a thon sounds like a good way to raise money and have a good weekend at the same time. Those are certainly two good causes. The amount you can learn at such an event makes it a painless way to contribute to those who really could use a little help in a time of need. I need to get out on the water to try out some I have tied to ensure they are worth someone else's time before I try to share them. From what I've seen over the years most fish will hit just about anything if it's already feeding but a good fly for fish that are laid up and not in the feeding mode is a little more difficult. That being said some fish are downright picky when they are feeding and it takes more than just proper presentation to catch them. Being a part time flyfisherman and a greenhorn at tying I can use a whole lotta instruction such as you would find at a Tie A Thon. I might just present the idea to the guys at my local shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.