NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today McFaydens Lake here in Fayetteville was a good potential fishing lake. I know the oldtimers use to catch fish there many years ago but also know the lake was drained a few years back due to a faulty dam. I was told they charge non lake residents 100.00 :mad: or so per year to pay for the dam to fish there and its now well stocked and you can put a boat in the water. Can anyone add anything about this lake such as fees or fishing quality?
Thanks...Jim

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The dam was repaired in 95 and the lake was restocked with Bass and Bluegill. I didn't even know there was a boat ramp there. There some photos on the Falcon Rods website of a fellow with some nice Bass that he caught from McFayden back in 2000. I always assumed that after the repairs they kept all the fishing to the residents. It would be nice to get the lo down on it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
wheres this lake at?

I was out fishing at the lake where waldos beach is at when the dam broke.
then left there and went to eat snowballs at hopemills lake and the dam there broke haha

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
McFayden is on Cliffdale road.

I was really upset over Hope Mills Lake. I used to catch some huge Crappie from that lake. I took a trip to the Outer Banks that weekend and the lake was gone when I came home. I understand that they are supposed to negin reconstructing the dam a little later this year.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
backlash in the old days, like the 1950's 60's and 70's, (I don't remember much about the 50's except shooting marbles and bb guns) Hope Mills lake, McFaydens Lake, Country Club lake and Waldos were excellent fishing lakes. My family lived across from County Club Lake and my older brother and sister water skied there. I remember going to Kornbow lake and Glennville lake and caught what seemed like numerous fish. PWC later closed Kornbow but you can still fish Glennville.

It's bad how construction development has taken many of our water holes away.

·
Registered
464 Posts
yea Ive been here for going on 7 years..and ive never seen the place open..so unless you own the lake aswell Its not worth it.

2 million would go along way..
1. deposit all of the money and live off of the intrest
2. Porsche Carrera GT
3. New truck, new boat, all new gear
4. Own my own resort down on that lake in mexico where all the huge bass are caught.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
It was open when I first moved here but I never had chance to eat there. I understand that the guy that owned it just walked in one day and closed it stating personal reasons.

I'm going to have to go over there and see what the deal is on a boat ramp.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little history about the restaurant. It was opened as Chestnutt Mills Seafood and it was a great place to eat. Jim Chestnutt opened it around 1980 and my wife and I dated there a few times before we married. There were few seafood restaurants in Fayettevile back then. I was in the Cross Creek Longrifles shooting club with Jim Chestnutt who was a wonderful man but unfortunately he died in the 90's. Jim also owned Capt' Jims on Owen Drive.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I think that you may be right about that Jim. I had forgotten all about that Lake until you brought it up. It's a fair sized lake about 2 miles long and it would be great to have another local place to hit. Like you , I'm not going to pay $100 to fish the thing. I' ll have to ask some questions about that as well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was told you go across the RR tracks and turn right and its the house buy the lake, no sign I was told. Perhaps they could give us a good price as a group of fisherman.

Jim

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a friend that lives on the lake hes going to find out about the ramp. i saw one looked like concrete right as you drive in from cliffdale on the right where those condo looking things are....as well as the brandnew condos they built on the lake..Im pretty sure they have a private ramp...which i have a friend who lives there and will also find out about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dam was repaired in 95 and the lake was restocked with Bass and Bluegill. I didn't even know there was a boat ramp there. There some photos on the Falcon Rods website of a fellow with some nice Bass that he caught from McFayden back in 2000. I always assumed that after the repairs they kept all the fishing to the residents. It would be nice to get the lo down on it.
Yep, that was me in the blue hat. Anyone know how to contact the lake association? I need to renew my membership. ;)

Falcon Rods (then p.31)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, that was me in the blue hat. Anyone know how to contact the lake association? I need to renew my membership. ;)

Falcon Rods (then p.31)
The fellow who runs the lake association lives in the home to the left of the boat ramp if facing the lake. Just knock on his door and he'll be glad to sign you up and take your money.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.