NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"They" say that Feb thru April is Crappie Time! Heard it said of Jordan in specific.

How and where?

I'm particularly interested in reaching 'em from my kayak. The most I've heard lately has been tightlining minnows -- I think I can do that. A lot of the guys I see out there hunting have a dozen rods arranged off the bow of the boat, a coleman lantern, and apparently a supply of empty fuel canisters to throw at approaching snakes (I presume -- they seem to be everywhere).

For some reason I'd got the idea that riprap was good crappie water -- any truth to that? Farrington and Ebenezer both have lots of riprap within easy paddling distance...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Those are usually the "productive" months and a chance for the big ones. The larger fish seem to come earlier. The scenerio is the same on most lakes, give or take a week or two, depending on location. Good spots are docks and brush. We mainly just use jigs. Not a fan of trolling.

·
Registered
358 Posts
lefty,

I am not much on night fishing, I'd rather be home with the wife.

I tight line minnows 90% of the time and I am always moving (slow trolling.)

During the spawn, when the fish are shallow, I drag the same rigs with corks in 4 to 6 foot of water.

I use a hand tied double rig with a 1/2 sinker at the bottom.

I will be posting a new blog in the next several weeks that explains my equipment and techniques.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flippin' and jiggin' mostly.
[ rookie warning on ]
I've heard those terms a lot... not real sure I've got a good idea how to do 'em.

Jiggin' I think of as mostly a vertical presentation... I'm imagining drifting my kayak slowly, parallel to a riprap wall, about 6' out, bouncing a small jig-head (I've seen 'em labeled "Crappie Jigs") off the rocks, a couple of inches (up and along) at a time. I'm not even imagining a cast at all, just drop it down and bounce it along...

If the drift's not cooperative, I'd anchor the kayak and bounce the jig-head as far in all directions as I can reach, then move a boatlength down the wall and repeat... I might even use one of those 16' telescoping poles, in some versions of the dream...

Am I close?

Do you use live minnows for something like this, or is it pretty much an artificial presentation?

"Flippin'" I don't have much of a picture of....

Thx - lefty

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Jiggin' is mostly done out from laps. Also vertical if you can get on top of the fish. Jiggin' is mostly pitching into laps and rocks to locate fish dept and position on structure. Crappie will sometimes be at the back of laps near shore or at the end of laps. Bite can be as shallow as a foot or several feet. Jiggin' to me is a search and locate technique. Once you find a pattern it will be repetitive. We do sometimes tip jigs with minnows or if the fishing is good and consistant, a good ole bobber will come out. Flippin' or also called "shooting" is another great technique. Grab the jig and bend the rod, using the rods energy to "shoot" the jig under docks and piers. With some practice you will be able to shoot under docks less than 4" off the water and into small spaces. Sometimes a simple cast beside the dock is not enough.(gotta go where they live) Crappie like docks and flippin' is great for this. The bait we have been hooked on are the Panfish Assassins. It is still hard to beat a hand tied hair jig.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A Crappie lap=brush, tree, submerged trees, stumps. Forgive the southern slang but we call 'em tree laps.
The verb lap :
Meaning #1: lie partly over or alongside of something or of one another.......When fishing these laps, don't be scared to get right in there with 'em. Sometimes they will not be seen and be submerged. Often man-made with X-mas trees tossed off the side or end of docks, so try fishing out from the docks also.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, crummy - I guess you find laps to be more productive than riprap, huh? My lake map has submerged fish attractors marked, I could plan to explore them... but not sure how to plan a paddling trip to find laps....

As for drifting the kayak, tho, that's a good thing... A spring clamp on a short piece of rope will do a great job holding the yak still...

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hot tip for kayakers. I drag a #5 floating silver Rapala on a 6 lb outfit behind the kayak nearly all the time when I'm fishing. When you stop to cast or reel in a fish it will float harmlessly to the top. When you are paddling you are trolling a very effective lure that will catch anything that eats minnows. I've found a lot of schools of crappie this way. Down here in Hartwell a friend of mine was catchin bass in 3' of water the other day right out in the middle of a big flat. The crappie are at similar depth.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thanks, crummy -... but not sure how to plan a paddling trip to find laps....
Just as simple as a tree laying in the water. I prefer to fish the ones out at the mouth of coves and work your way into the cove. Don't overlook the rock piles either. I find the bite tends to lessen as you work at the back of coves. Main channel structure and docks are also good. Biggest factor will be time of year and water temp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.