NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to clean out the gas tank in my boat. Right now I'm running around with a 6 gal tank topside. I wanna get the belly tank operational. I'm thinking of popping the sending unit off, and running a borescope or something of that nature inside the tank so I can take a look and see if its salvageable/cleanable. If it is, I was going to suck out any residual fuel, and once it dries, take another look. Do you guys have any experience doing this kind of stuff? This is the first time I'm attempting to clean one "in boat". Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I would removed it from the boat, this way you can properly clean and flush it. For an Aluminum tank, go online and order the POR-15 kit. Follow the directions to the "T" and you will love the results.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
is it under the floor or just mounted by the transome or on a sideboard? What is it made of and what issues are you having that make you want to clean it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an Aluminum tank, in floor, so I don't wanna take it out. Been down that road on a couple past boats. This one doesn't look that bad, just didn't know if there were any tricks that I didn't know about for cleaning them out. It hasn't been used in awhile, when I bought the boat, the guy hadn't used the fuel tank in probably 1 year or so. when you pop the gas cap off on the gunnel, it smells like gas, not stale either, so I don't know what the condition of it is. I'm going to be trying to pull the sending unit out this weekend, and run my borescope down there. I'm still thinking of effective ways of cleaning though, around the sides of the tank, and top. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
212 Posts
dont know if putting bore scope in tank a good idea, fumes ....is your bore scope made for gas.know the one i got is not. could cause a ignition source to the fumes..just something to think about..want you to be safe and stay safe.. had to take tank out buddy of mine it was like gel two inches think on bottom, he had a mess

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, yea I want to check inside it to see what the tank is looking like before I dump fuel in it. I'm going to be pumping it out regardless. I am almost positive that my scope is ok to use in fumes. I've had it in many different fuel tanks in planes. I'll verify that one though. I am not using the tank in the floor at the moment, but I want to . I wanna get the plastic tank off the deck.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Underdstandably so.

I only say remove the tank because of what my be covering bottom of tank that will not dry and evaporate as easily. If you have a good look at the bottom and see aluminum then probably just fill tank a little with some acetone, let it sit for a couple days then draw that out and let it dry for couple days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I took the sending unit out, cleaned it up and around the flange area on the tank. I ran my borescope down and around inside the tank. It looked **** near brand new. I'm not sure why the last guy stopped using the belly tank. My fear is a crack somewhere...... I pumped out all the old fuel, it was stale. After all that, I then tested the sending unit, it works. It only reads to 1/4 tank. Doesn't read full travel. I'm going to throw some fuel in it today after work. only way to see if it leaks is to fill it up right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts