NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from the coast Sat. am as I was going through Kinston, I noticed the parking lot full and cars and parked on the side of the road at the NSS. As usual my car went out of control. I couldn't find a parking space in the handicap area so I just abandoned my car close by. I couldn't find what was really going on-- I guess it was a routine buying frenzy of fishermen on a typical Sat. morning. As I walked through the door, there was a huge table stacked to the ceiling with three models of Daiwa Sweepfire spinning reels for $11.99 each. I picked a model of each , then decided that I only needed? one. As I drove off with my purchased bargain, it struck me that I don't have an extra rod to put the new reel on. Its still in my car covered by my hat. Wife keeps reminding me that this marriage is still in the trial stages and I'm running out of "tackle monkey excuses". For this latest slip up, I'm going to tell her that I took a laxative before I left for home and couldn't make it any further and felt obligated to purchase something for rest room privileges.:confused: If you younger married fellows could share some more up to date lame excuses they would be appreciated. I feel this "Tackle Monkey Syndrome" is entering the final stages with me, unless I can find some better alibis:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I can throw Marty under the bus at my house..
I just say, well Martin needed it, but didnt have his wallet with him, so I picked it up and he's gonna pay me back... then it usually gets forgotton about... :)

or...

Well.. instead of gettin the truck oil changed, I figured I'd use that $40 on somethin I really needed this week and will change the oil next weekend

or... throw my kid under the bus...
He kept pesterin me till I bought him somethin to shut him up!

or my infamous.... at least my fishin tackle purchase didnt cost what the chiropractor charged us for your visits every two weeks!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can throw Marty under the bus at my house..
I just say, well Martin needed it, but didnt have his wallet with him, so I picked it up and he's gonna pay me back... then it usually gets forgotton about... :)

or...

Well.. instead of gettin the truck oil changed, I figured I'd use that $40 on somethin I really needed this week and will change the oil next weekend

or... throw my kid under the bus...
He kept pesterin me till I bought him somethin to shut him up!

or my infamous.... at least my fishin tackle purchase didnt cost what the chiropractor charged us for your visits every two weeks!!
Thanks Dave--- Its good to see that a fellow fishing buddy does some in dept thinking and planning when it comes to explaining tackle monkey purchases.

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tell her that it's a long term investment and 50 years from now we will be able to live nicely on the antique tackle that I bought cheep.
A good one. I won't make another 50 but its a good excuse for hanging on to some of my tackle I bought about 50 years ago.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like to use the old...
" My buddy had it and didnt need it,geesh he blows so much money on fishing crap, but he wanted my (insert item here) so we traded"...
excuse....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Kinda hard to explain the trade thing at my house when the UPS/FedEx guy shows up at the front door!! ha ha ha hah ah a .... :):eek:

But good idea for other things... it's impossible for my wife to inventory or catalog what I have stashed away.. she wouldnt know a DOA shrimp from a wahoo whacker... :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I know all about the tackle monkey but nothing about having to fess up to the wife so I'll just 'fess up here. My Easter weekend was interupted by a sleep test Sat.night and since Sun. morning put me in the immediate area of one of my favorite Easter egg hunting spots I bought a 8' Tica spinning rod rated 3/8 to 11/4 oz, 2 9' Tica casting models rated 1-2 oz, a 1/2 oz johnson sprite, a #10 clown Xrap, 10 25 count packs of watermelon seed 3" swirl tail grubs, 1000 duolock snaps and 1000 #4 split rings. The really rough part was paying for it...all 52.00 worth.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sinker man, I know just how you feel. In the last 2 months I have bought 2 boats a 14 ft tri hull and a kayak. That does not include everything else like pfd's and a battery for the trolling motor, tackle and tags . I told my wife they followed me home. I dont think she bought into it . She did ask if I won the lottery. I told her no, but the kids were finshing college. The wife then said if one more boat follows you home. ( and I am thinking Hey, this don't sound to bad she thinking about another one):) It better be big enough for me to live on.:( So any new ideas for fessing up Please pass on. While I chain that tackle monkey out back. Before he gets me in trouble again.:)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know all about the tackle monkey but nothing about having to fess up to the wife so I'll just 'fess up here. My Easter weekend was interupted by a sleep test Sat.night and since Sun. morning put me in the immediate area of one of my favorite Easter egg hunting spots I bought a 8' Tica spinning rod rated 3/8 to 11/4 oz, 2 9' Tica casting models rated 1-2 oz, a 1/2 oz johnson sprite, a #10 clown Xrap, 10 25 count packs of watermelon seed 3" swirl tail grubs, 1000 duolock snaps and 1000 #4 split rings. The really rough part was paying for it...all 52.00 worth.
Al---You got ALL OF THAT for $52.00 --You got more "fessing up" to do here--I believe you hood-winked some poor soul-- Come clean -- Let's hear the rest of this tale.:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Bought it from my best tackle supplier. HE not me, has 11 10 x 20 buildings full of stuff. I only looked thru 3. He buys anywhere from $10k to $50K worth at a time. Yesterday he was trying to get me to buy hooks but I was shopping more for me than to resell.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
What kind of hooks?

I need some 7/0 or 8/0 Tru turns
Some 11/0 short shank type for lure rigging
and probably need to resupply on some 7/0 red/blood color'd J-hooks
maybe a load of snap swivels in the 90-150 lb ratings

Any deals on them Al??

Oh yeah, any good deals on egg sinkers in 6-12 oz??

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I was rather proud of myself yesterday as I convinced my wife that we needed to ride up to Greensboro so she could go to the craft show with the unknow intention that it meant a visit to Gander Mountain for me. I had never been there before and was interested in checking it out. Not a bad store at all. Some where between Bass Pro Shops and Neuse Sport Shop. I told my wife as we were leaving that the Neuse is still my favorite anyday, just something about stopping there on the way to the coast. Well, the only thing I purchased was a bag of those new Storm Swimming Shad baits. They look like they might work well on White Bass and Stripers.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Stripers seem to like the Storm wild eye shads. I suppose the whites would too.
Dave, I didn't see too much in the way of offshore stuff. Lots of Matzuo hooks. I noticed some longer shank 10/0 sickle hooks about a month ago. Plenty of octupus and beak hooks Mostly inshore and freshwater stuff. I normally keep live bait hooks up to 7/0 but right now I'm down to 5/0 and smaller. The biggest egg sinkers I can pour are 8oz. I might should change that. I poured 40lbs Friday for a friend to sell in 11/2, 2and 3oz. That took up the biggest part of the day... and he wonders why I don't pour small ones for him.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks! I am anxious to try the Storm baits.

I use 16 oz. egg sinkers to make up my Grouper rigs. I use them when I go out on the over night trip. They work very well but the bad thing is they disqualify you from the big fish pot. There is a place in Raleigh that sells them that big called the Carolina Outdoor Sportsman.

Mark

Reactions: Dave B.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.