NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I strung up and 11' 3 wt rod by Syndicate...to give it a shot on one of our DH streams. This is a popular rod for competition nymphing (Euro nymping..) but my approach was more traditional.

It takes a little getting use to the longer rod....but I found it to be especially useful reaching across current seams and keeping line and leader off the water.

I added to a 9' leader so that the final length was about 12-13'...also takes a little getting use to....but only leader was touching the water...so maximum stealth....and no strike indicator.

I used a variety of flies: eggs, wooly bugger, nymphs, san juans etc. and guess that fish hit all of them at one point or another. Best results were with the wooly bugger (no surprise).

The length of the rod required also required a little casting adjustment since it was easy to cast further than you expected (normally I use a 9' rod and a 7-9 foot leader). However, without thinking about it, the longer rod was not an issue as far as tree limbs, bushes etc....but in some places it could be.

I used a reel with 5 wt line on the rod...since it balanced in the hand well....and I was not expecting to cast with more than 5 or 10 feet of line out. That short amount of line certainly was nowhere close to overloading the rod... So, folks wanting to try an 11' rod should not be the least concerned about buying new line and reel. Just use your 5 or 6 wt setup and it is good to go for that short a length of line. However, casting with 30-40 feet of 5 wt line did not overload the rod either....so....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear that. Some of the wild streams have been very open overhead along the stream and a longer rod would have been an asset. Even casting was not an issue in many cases. But "snaking" and crawling thru the Rhodo to get there was a different story.

So...for folks that can't "see" the use of the long rod...I have a 5 and 6 foot rod that may be what they desire. More than one way to "skin that cat."

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have not fished Tenkara...but sold a few. I have a shorter 8'6" TFO Tenkara on sale now. A couple of customers seem to like it...most that have tried it seem to return to traditional gear due to habit? Increased versatility? Avid backpackers like the light weight and compactness of the Tenkara. These new, long Syndicate rods offer some of the advantages of the long Tenkara "rods" but the versatility of a reel and line setup,when you want or need to fish longer distance with traditional casting methods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.