NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after seeing topsail angler really putting it to the salty fish with a butter fly jig.. i figured to try it in fresh water.. how ever being i did not like the idea of using a shimano rod.-i can't stand shimano gear- i have had this old 6.5 foot mh fenwick spinning rod.-extra long handle- it works very well using this technique. at first i used the reel i had on it a mitchell 300xg then i put a diawa steez on it.-holy smokes what a difference-

today i caught 6 on this set up. the only difference i have changed to is i had to add a swivel between the braid an flouro cause my knots kept cutting into the braid.

i am running 30 pound braid and 15 pound floro on this set up..

here is the color that works for me..

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
zook -- novice question... what do you figure made such a great difference between one spinning reel and another?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well lefty the mitchell is a fairly smooth reel but that steez is from another planet when it comes to smoothness. lets just say it is like butter flowing as you turn the handle..and for the price it darn well better be..that one reel cost nearly as much as your yak-$508-

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oh, I wasn't sure if there was something particular to freestyle jiggin' that gave the Daiwa an advantage over the Mitch. Sounds like it's just a case of "good reel versus great reel"...
Thanks amigo

·
Registered
574 Posts
I almost picked up a couple of those at BPS a few days ago but didn't because I wasn't sure how to fish them. Were you just droping it to the bottom reeling up a little then verticle jigging them, or were you casting and jigging it on the retrieve. Would they work in water under 10ft deep?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.