NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwfKBsgImg
Anyone use one the same, or similar, knife as this guy? His technique seems highly regarded. I imagine there are other knives that would do the job but this one looks like it is built for filleting fish with similar bone structure.
I realize that cleaning the one drum we are allowed to keep isn't going to take a lot of time but it is still nice to look at the different methods people use and I always like an excuse to buy a new piece of fishing gear even if it is a knife.
Personally I think drum are a major pain to fillet but I'd still rather fillet them than clean/cook them any other way.
I'm also looking to hear what others use for a surface to clean their fish on. I've always used a plastic type of board and I often use cardboard as well to help keep the fish from sliding around. I no longer have a fish cleaning station with running water and I miss that set up a lot.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Seen the video and have been looking that knife lol
I found one at west marine but its way too big like 14"
Most tackle stores just carry slim filet knifes and like he said are only good for *skinning* not fileting.

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
I have a Bubba Blade that I bought at wally world. It makes me feel and filet like a pro!! Great knife, apparently I never knew what sharp was and how easily it is to filet fish. Ive never scaled a fish....

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered one off Amazon. Free 2nd day shipping $20.00 or so. Everything looks so easy on YouTube so I am betting I'll get the hang after about five years and 11 fingers. I like a carbon steel knife. They are not all that easy to find in a fishing knife anymore. Stainless still gets dull and is difficult to sharpen. I can make a razor out of carbon steel in seconds so that's my personal preference. Even if I have to do it every fish it's fine.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I have a Bubba Blade that I bought at wally world. It makes me feel and filet like a pro!! Great knife, apparently I never knew what sharp was and how easily it is to filet fish. Ive never scaled a fish....

I have a Bubba Blade and it will stab and slab or slice and dice. Great knife, had it to rip right thru red drum, speckled trout are butter to this blade. I am happy with this knife. Used a 9 inch taper flex last trip, going to get a 7 inch taper flex to try for the next fishing excursion catching speckled trout.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
What does this bubba blade look like?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like his technique. I live 3.5-4 hours away from my fishing holes, so the most possible yield from the fish I catch is a good thing. I have really been looking at the Bubba Blade knife, anyone think you could use this method with a Bubba Blade?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
IMO a sharp pocket knife is better'n a dull anything.
Mr. Frank has one of these laying on his cleaning station at River's Edge. It's been there for several years and it's very "used".
I decided to drag it across my standard issue Rapala one day. It worked wonderfully ....... didn't rough up my blade like most of those drag thrus do. I've bought about 5 of them since, 4 as gifts. No complaints.
It won't do as fine a job as a thorough session with the stone, but it takes about 3 seconds to put a very acceptable edge on most stainless knives.

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked out the Bubba knife and it does look very impressive. It's got a made in the USA look (and price :)) but if they stock it at wally world I guess it is made in China. What model do people use most? They have several fillet knives and one or two that have curved blades that I'm sure would do everything the Dexter that I bought would do. Personally I'd like to have the 9" "Stiffie" they offer. I know these can't be purchased at wally's
Where was I, oh, sharpening, right. That is a subject that could go on for weeks IMO. I'm on a machinists forum and if someone wants to have three years of reading material about sharpening look at the threads/posts there. I'm not that precise with my sharpening and I think the carbide drag across sharpeners have their place and I have a few. I also have a real nice tristone sharpening thing but I don't use it because it takes me too long.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
My gramps would leave the grave and slap me on my head with them thick ole, hard, farmer fingers if he knew I was dragging a knife thru one of the things. But he'd still eat the fish;)

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My gramps would leave the grave and slap me on my head with them thick ole, hard, farmer fingers if he knew I was dragging a knife thru one of the things. But he'd still eat the fish;)
He also probably used high carbon steel knives and not stainless. Last night I filleted with a regular fillet knife but left the bones attached. Once I had the boneless parts cut I just ripped it up and the bones detached from the spine so the fillet had all the meat on it that I usually have trouble claiming such as the entire belly meat. Then I can either cut the bones out in a separate step and have all the meat and no bones at all or I can leave the bones and pick around them after cooking. I ended up removing all the bones because I cut the fillet up so I could cook the thicker parts separately from the thinner so all the pieces are cooked correctly. IMO over cooked fish is more common than property cooked and there is no way to cook a whole fillet without having sections that are either over or under cooked. I get very irritated with myself when I overcook fish. Since I started using this "blocking" method I've been much happier with the outcome. I fired some last night and it was all perfectly cooked. I err on the undercooked side and keep going if it isn't done yet.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I'm a Dexter fan myself, and as far as sharpening a knife I have an old tri stone knife sharpener that has been getting the job done for as long as I can remember. Knife sharpening used to be a hobby of my dads. Actually sharpening things in general. Chainsaws, axes, splitting mauls you name it he liked putting an edge on it and was REALLY good at it. I picked up on the knife sharpening from him and will also sit around in my down time and sharpen my knives just because. To go with the tri stone, I have several steel rods and stropping belts to condition my blades with.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Don't listen that fella. Notice he was trashing the flexible fillet knives? Well they are flexible for a reason.

I'll hold the fish by the head and run the blade by his neck down one side and then the other.(something you can't do with his style knife) leave about a half inch of skin attached, flip and skin. I do the same for a flounder and there will not be any meat left. But in a 1/10 of the time.

You also have to sharpen the weighted blades a lot more vs the actual fillet knives. I only use weighted blades for fish in the 25-100lb range that have bones a lot bigger than a red.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts