NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After five trips without a keeper I got one this am. I had almost forgotten what they look like.
I've been getting a couple of shorts and a whole lot of blow ups and was wondering when I'd be able to hear that lovely sizzle again.
We eat tonight. Glad I'm only feeding two Fishing net Water Plant Fish Grass

2nd photo was last night. I didn't measure it but even if it stretched to 18" it was too small for two fish starved people.
Last night was nearly perfect with little breeze and lots of water. I got to appreciate both for five hours and came home fish less. This am was almost as nice and got back in 90 min with food. Vertebrate Eyelash Mesh Textile Window

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My best advice would be to keep thinking that. If you start catching these fish using topwater baits you will be ruined for good.
I got these, and nearly all of the puny number of drum I catch, on Heddon Super Spook Jr. Usually I put 4X treble hooks and beefier split rings on top water baits but this one has the originals it came with two weeks ago.
Do some research on topwater redfish/red drum and you will see the many folks needing an intervention like me.
Use keywords such as:
Redfish on top water
Obsessive red drum disorder (ORDD) for short
Low number of red drum caught
Blowups
Pushes
Insanity
Hooks in flesh
Walk the dog
Walk the dog after coming home with no fish
Walk the dog after coming home with no fish and not eating supper
Kick your dog
Etc
All of these should give you hits associated to topwater red drum

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got one this pm. I had two blow ups on the spook that still had the hooks it came with. If I had to guess I'd say they are #6 but who knows. Seems like all manufacturers have their own size chart.
Anyway I put on a different spook Jr with #2 4X strong and first (and last) hit was landed and released. I should have known the many missed fish were because of the smallish hooks the spook Jr comes with. Plant Phasianidae Fish Terrestrial plant Beak
Jaw Ingredient Cuisine Shell Dish

The throat shot is from the one I got this am. Nice molars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.