NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Tarpon 100. I took it out for a test drive on Badin lake Yesterday. It was a bit scary in the main channel heavy wind about 12 inch swells with whitecaps. I started to feel really small out there decided to head back up Garr creek where it was a bit calmer. I was really surprised how well my new kayak handled the wind and chop. I can't wait to try it out on a fishing trip. Maybe this coming weekend, weather permitting. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
finally...

Congrats! Over time you'll love it. One question though, why not go to the 120? I love mine especially on the river. I've noticed when you'reon the lake in the wind if you keep it dead on or no more than 5 degrees either way it is like the wind actually pulls you. The only things to watch for are crazy boaters and pontoons and skiffs. The last two can throw some really wierd wakes. You would think a bass boat flying by would be the worst but it's no problem just a little bob and you're done. Good luck and don't forget the pfd.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to go as small as I could safely go. I am 290 lbs and dropping will probably be 240 to 250 by spring. My goal is 200. I have already dropped 146lb since January. Call it incentive or reward. Plus it fit in my budget.
I tried the 120. The thing I did not like about it is the access hole in the middle for me stay half way under water.. I would worry constantly about maybe it leaking. And heaven forbid you kicked it loose.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
congratulations on the new boat and the weight loss. enjoy the kayak and don't worry what others think as long as you like it that's all that matters.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Congratulations on both the kayak and the weight-loss. Sounds like you're off to a great start enjoying both!
Lefty

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How often do you have to paddle to get over having stiff shoulders and back muscles the next couple of days after a good paddle? I would like to work on building up some endurance. I am thinking twice a week maybe Fri/Sat then mid week Tues/Wed would work. Or is just going out regularly on the weekends enough? Ice covered water will come into play sooner or later and slow things down for this year LOL..........

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ice covered water will come into play sooner or later and slow things down for this year LOL..........
Now THAT's what I call a workout! Put spikes on your paddle and an icebreaker on the nose of your yak.

It'll take a month for your shoulders to forgive you for that, but man, you'd be cut!
:D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
You'd be the next tony atlas. Or the next titanic.:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
A little ice is no big deal ... yeah, right! I got a fit of winter blues last February and went out just to paddle Lake Crabtree. Had a good time until (1) I realized the water temperature was considerably less than the reasonably balmy 60 degree air temp, and (2) I got up into one of the creeks and it was frozen. I paddled up the creek about 50 yards, breaking ice all the time until I had to stop because the ice was too thick to break.

I say that I won't do that again but realize that I probably will. I'll just make sure that I'm adequately insulated and will have a paddling buddy with me. Lefty, get ready for ice paddling!

Doc

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The icebreaker attachment will be a cool project!
Hee hee hee

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am thinking a small eletric chainsaw rigged to flip down like a rudder and mounted to the nose would do the the trick LOL Hey This might come in handy when I get to close to over hanging tree branches at the lake too.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hey, that's not fair. In order to count for recognition, a stick must either have been in the water before you got there, or you must dislodge it using only hook and line. :D You may use a net but you must land the stick without the use of cutting devices. Breaks caused by hook, line, water, or other obstructions prior to getting it into the boat or onto the shore are acceptable but reduce the citation size of the catch.

[In case you haven't figured it out, Hogg, I'm the site's resident expert stickfisherman.]

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
What about those of us who hook over hanging sticks? Ones not in the water yet. Do they count if we break them off? Just wanta know in case I get a new state record. Don't want to look foolish when I contact the authorities.:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
OK, fellows and gals ... here's the official word on sticks. (I am making myself the expert here ... no discussion, please!)

Lefty is quite right (is that ironic) about sticks being caught in the water. In order for a stick to be legal, it must have been in the water when caught. A stick that results from a cast over a limb with a resulting breakoff does not count. Likewise, a stick that results from a cutting, breaking, bumping or other mechanically induced effort does not count.

It should be noted that sticks are graded on a scale not unlike the Boone and Crocket scale for deer antlers. This scale is known as the Coach and Lefty scale and is somewhat arbitrary. It is loosely based on stick length, girth, and the number of branches on the stick.

Any stick under 6" must be returned to the water as must sticks over 60". All others are legal to keep.

Just thought you would like to know.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.